Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking for Alphabets
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking for Alphabets Post 302389692 by gregarion on Monday 25th of January 2010 03:15:28 PM
Old 01-25-2010
thanks jim. But i would only like the search to allow those using alphabets only to be true.
If there is any "." or numbers or any other characters, it should return a false.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting only Alphabets from a value

Hi, I have file name (abcd001). I want to extract on the alphabets from this file name. I don't want the numeric part of it. Once i extract the alphabets the i can search for all those file. Could anyone help on this. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkhiare
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting the last 2 alphabets in the words

Hi Guys, Bit new to Unix shell scripting so this question might seems little kiddish for you. what im trying to achieve here is : I have file which is compressed like Account_52320090605076_log.Z so in my shell script i call this file also as one of my parameters like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolrekz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Remove repetitive alphabets

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will take 2 or more instances of repetitive alphabets (ZZ) to be removed from a field. This should only happen from beginning and end of a field. For Example : Input File a) ZZZIBM Corporation b) ZZZIBM Corporation ZZZZZ b) IBM ZZZ... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: msalam65
26 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

count alphabets in a flat file and print

I have a text file with a huge dataset, and each row in that dataset has some data(65479 rows). In that file I need to find the number of times a-z & A-Z Appears. How Can I Initialise Array into an Array to parse the count also I need to parse a,A into a single array preferably. example of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmsenthil
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter certain number of alphabets

filter the ones (ex:>1279_17_27_F3) that have 50letters (ABABABACACACACACAADADADADABABABABAACACACACACACAACAC) in input. And others that are less than 50 have to be ignore and the ones with more than 50 have to trimmed to first 50 letters. Thanx >1279_16_1960_F3 A >1279_16_2010_F3 BCCC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruby_sgp
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter unique alphabets

Filter unique alphabets (bold) from input Thanx +SRR015270.1 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:653:875 length=32 SZZZZZZZZZZZZXZZZXZZZOECZZIZHUEM +SRR015270.2 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:455:450 length=32 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTT @SRR015270.3 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:453:499 length=32... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort the numbers with symbol like '%' and alphabets '5M' and '52G'?

Hi all , I have below input 124M 56M 63M 48% /opt/isv/microsoft 1.1G 133M 922M 13% /opt/isv/mqm 5.0G 2.5G 2.3G 52% /opt/isv/oracle 30G 0 30G 0% /opt/isv/db my required output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print combinations of alphabets in a sequence

Hi Friends, I have a series of alphabets like this AGCAA The values inside the square brace indicate that either of them can be present at that position. And those ones without a brace, means that they are the only ones that could be printed at that location. Now, I would like to know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace alphabets from certain positions

Hi all, I have column 2 full of values like HIVE4A-56 and HIVE4-56. I want to convert all values like HIVE4A-56 to HIVE4-56. So basically I want to delete all single alphabets before the '-' which is always preceded by a number. Values already in the desired format should remain unchanged... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ames1983
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace alphabets in a string with their ASCII values

hi. I have a requirement where I need to REPLACE all alphabets from an alphanumeric input string into their respective ASCII decimal value. For example: If the input string is ABAC123, the output should be 65666567123 I am seeking a single line command, and I was trying searching for options... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
21 Replies
MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)													       MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)

mssql_num_fields - Gets the number of fields in result

SYNOPSIS
int mssql_num_fields (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
mssql_num_fields(3) returns the number of fields in a result set. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of fields, as an integer. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mssql_num_fields(3) example <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database $link = mssql_connect('KALLESPCSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php', $link); // Select some data from our database $data = mssql_query('SELECT [name], [age] FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct a table echo '<table border="1">'; $header = false; // Iterate through returned results while ($row = mssql_fetch_array($data)) { // Build the table header if (!$header) { echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; for ($i = 1; ($i + 1) <= mssql_num_fields($data); ++$i) { echo '<td>' . ucfirst($row[$i]) . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; echo '<tbody>'; $header = true; } // Build the row echo '<tr>'; foreach($row as $value) { echo '<td>' . $value . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; } // Close table echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Clean up mssql_free_result($data); mssql_close($link); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_query(3), mssql_fetch_field(3), mssql_num_rows(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)