Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Need to transfer files over from an olds Sunos 5.6 box Post 302389661 by Corona688 on Monday 25th of January 2010 12:42:27 PM
Old 01-25-2010
tar should be able to handle links, symlinks, permissions, and perhaps users relatively intelligently. Its behavior for device files varies from implementation to implementation.

I'd avoid rsh/rcp if at all possible. Does the box have a working ssh client? I sometimes do things like:
Code:
tar -cf - /path | ssh user@host 'cat > archive.tar'

which will create the file archive.tar on the remote host if its version of tar supports the '-' parameter to mean stdin/stdout. You could also have it extract the tar directly with 'tar -C /path/to/destination -xf -'.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

File transfer from unix to NT box?

Is there a method to transfer a file from UNIX (AIX) to an NT box without the NT box having any special software running? I can ping the box via the network and I have a valid NT account to use. Is FTP a viable solution ? HELP! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvacc
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer Files from old Mac to a Linux box?

The other half has informed me that I gotta get my own Internet box (been using her's for over ten years) and my ancient Mac SE30 (when's the last time you heard about one of those) has a bunch of Excel and Word files that I want to move to the next machine. I know that I can spend significant... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsimpso1
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mail problems SUNOS BOX

now, i need to send a file to an email address but i cant seem to find a place on the internet that tells me that specifically. sites i came across just happens to be beating aroung the bush too much. i'm running a SUNOS box 5.6. can someone please give me the proper syntax. either for mailx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Access files from prev box after SSH to another box

i'm not much of an advanced unix programmer but I'm trying to write a script to access files on box1 after ssh from box 1 to box2. when ssh is invoked in the script i'm getting logged into box2 and losing complete touch with box1 which is normal i guess. but my main aim with my script is when i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from Unix box to a windows box

Hi All, I need a little help .I want to transfer a file from unix box to a windows box,but the problem i'm facing is that in windows box FTP is not enabled and currently it is nearly impssible to change setting on windows box,i can not use the ftp method ,in my shell script to transfer the file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preet
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare all files in one unix box has been to copied to another unix box

Hi our unix admin has copied all files from one unix box to new unix box. We just need to confirm that all the file systems are copied properly. How to validate. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddym
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file transfer from https to a Unix box

Hi, I want to transfer a file from a https side to an unix machine, somebody can let me know a easy way to do so, A simple script to be put in the unix machine to retrieve the file from the https side Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvjaimes
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP transfer from Linux to unix box

Hi, I transferred a tar.gz file from a linux server to a unix server using ftp. In the unix box when i untarred, only few files with zero bytes were copied and i get "tar dir : cksum error" Could anyone help me out ? Thanks & Regards, Abinaya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinaya
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SCP During Transfer to SunOS

Hi, I'd like to seek your help in finding the cause of this problem. I utilize SCP command to transfer files from one server to another. I utilize the return code that SCP return so as to verify if transfer is ok or not. Below is a sample code that I created. if scp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: padi
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find file older than one month not by x days olds

Hi, I would like to ask about some question on the -mtime option in the find command. I want to move a log files older than one month and planning to used the find -mtime +30 but i have some clarrification does -mtime +30 or -30 refer to x days beyond or between so how about the month. suppose... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies
tz(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     tz(4)

Name
       tz - SCSI magnetic tape interface

Syntax
       VAX NCR 5380:
	 adapter      uba0    at nexus?
	 controller   scsi0   at uba0	 csr 0x200c0080  vector szintr
	 tape	      tz0     at scsi0	 drive 0

VAX DEC SII:
	 adapter      ibus0   at nexus?
	 controller   sii0    at ibus?	 vector sii_intr
	 tape	      tz0     at sii0	 drive 0

RISC DEC SII:
	 controller   sii0    at ibus?	 vector sii_intr
	 tape	      tz0     at sii0	 drive 0

RISC DEC KZQ:
	 adapter      uba0    at nexus?
	 controller   kzq0    at ibus? csr 0761300vector sii_intr
	 tape	      tz0     at kzq0	 drive 0

RISC NCR ASC:
	 controller   asc0    at ibus?	 vector ascintr
	 tape	      tz0     at asc0	 drive 0

Description
       The SCSI tape driver provides a standard tape drive interface as described in This is a driver for any Digital SCSI tape device.

For  the  TZK10	QIC  format tape drive, the densities supported are QIC-24 (read only) block size of 512 byte blocks, QIC-120, and QIC-150
       read/write block size of 512 byte blocks, and QIC-320 read/write block size of 1024 byte blocks.  With QIC format style tapes all reads and
       writes  must  be  in  multiple  of the block size.  This is a requirement of fixed block tape drives because record boundaries are not pre-
       served.	The QIC densities are selected using the following special device names:

QIC-24 Fixed block size.
	 QIC-120 Fixed block size.
	 QIC-150 Fixed block size.
	 QIC-320 Fixed block size.

With all fixed block tape devices a of a file to the tape must be padded out.  An example of this is a of which has a size of approximately
       3800 bytes.
       dd if=/etc/gettytab of=/dev/rmt0h bs=10k conv=sync
	 or
       dd if=/etc/gettytab of=/dev/rmt0l bs=512 conv=sync
       The option of pads the output to block size.

This  driver  also  supports  n-buffered  reads	and  writes  to the raw tape interface (used with streaming tape drives).  See for further
       details.

Tape Support
       TZ30, TZK50, TLZ04, TSZ05, TKZ08, TZK10

Diagnostics
       All diagnostic messages are sent to the error logger subsystem.

Files
See Also
       mtio(4), nbuf(4), SCSI(4), MAKEDEV(8), uerf(8), tapex(8)
       Guide to the Error Logger

tz(4)