Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Just listing size, timestamp & name of files in a directory Post 302389654 by Jazmania on Monday 25th of January 2010 12:35:06 PM
Old 01-25-2010
[Answered] Just listing size, timestamp & name of files in a directory

How can I list the files in a directory and just show the file size, date stamp, timestamp and file name..

I've been trying to ls -lrt the directory to a file and then use the cut command but I'm not having any luck with getting the proper results.. I thought i could use the -f switch and count the number of columns i needed but its not giving me what i need..

Any suggestions..

Last edited by Jazmania; 01-25-2010 at 02:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Sun UNIX Files & Folders listing

Hi guys, i'm new to UNIX and only know a small amout about it, but have just had some changes at work which now require me to interact with and work on SUN Unix systems often. I have reasonable knowledge of PC's but hope that you will be able to help me with these questions. Part1. I would like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrat
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timestamp in directory listing

Hi, I need a help. I want to see all the files in the directory with the Time Stamp. I use the following command. $ls -lt This displays the files with time stamp, but not all the files. Only last few months, the files are displayed with timestamp, the old files are only have dates. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijashok
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing files in a directory in bases of size

Hi , I want to list all files in the order of size . Just want to know which files occupies more size and which occupies less size . Is it possible with ls command ? :) Thanks, Arun. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Block size in listing files

I see the following in my prompt... that is, i have only one file but i see 8 as total. /home/asla>ls -l total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 6 Oct 17 18:59 simple Can you please tell me why that 8? I checked different sources they say it is number of blocks but in this case... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing latest & large files from a mounted drive

Hi All, My AIX server have a mounted drive "/stage". I want to list the latest modified/created files in this drive. Also large files in this drive. I tried to ls -l | sort +4nr | head -10 Someother solutions to list from entire drive. Thanks. :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Listing the files in a directory

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: A script that takes any number of directories as command line arguments and then lists the contents of each of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phaneendra G
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing of files between two timestamp

Hi, I want to list down the files between two timestamp. But I can not use newer or newermt command as it doesn't support these tokens. Is there any other way to achieve this? Else I have to write too much of coding . Input Dec 01 02:02 Dec 02 05:07 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhijit Sen
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory listing in the order of size

I want to display directory listing in the order of size. I do not have -S option in my version of UNIX. So I wrote a simple script. But it takes "| sort -n -k5,5" part as file names. Any suggestion? #!/bin/ksh cmd='ls -l *.TXT | sort -n -k 5,5' set -x $cmd return 0 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
7 Replies
DPATCH.MAKE(7)							      dpatch							    DPATCH.MAKE(7)

NAME
dpatch.make - simplistic wrapper around dpatch(1) for make(1). SYNOPSIS
include /usr/share/dpatch/dpatch.make DESCRIPTION
For backwards compatibility and ease of use, dpatch.make is provided along with dpatch(1). Its purpose is to implement generic patch and unpatch rules that can be reused in debian/rules scripts. WARNING
dpatch is deprecated, please switch to the `3.0 (quilt)' Debian source package format instead. See http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/Deb- Src3.0#FAQ for a short guide on how to do it. USAGE
Using dpatch.make is rather straightforward: one has to include the file in debian/rules, change the appropriate targets to depend on patch and unpatch, and that is all it takes. Figuring out what the appropriate target is, requires some thought. Generally, one has a build target, or config.status, or configure (or any of these with a -stamp suffix). Most of the time these are called first during the build, so one of these (the one that exists, and is not depended upon by another one) has to be modified to depend on the patch target in dpatch.make. Doing the same for the clean target is easier. One only has to rename the old rule to, say, clean-patched, then make a new one that has clean-patched and unpatch in its list of prerequisites. CUSTOMISATION
There are a few variables which are used by dpatch.make, which can be set before including it, in order to change the systems behaviour a little. These variables are: DEB_SOURCE_PACKAGE This is the name of the source package, used when creating the stamp file. By default, it is empty. DPATCH_STAMPDIR This is the directory where stamp files will be put. Default is debian/patched. DPATCH_STAMPFN The name of the stamp file, which contains the patch descriptions and other possible meta-data. Default value is patch-stamp. DPATCH_PREDEPS A list of make targets to call before applying the dpatch. DPATCH_WORKDIR The target directory to apply patches to. By default, it is the current directory. PATCHLIST The list of patches to apply. This is an alternative to debian/patches/00list - that is, if this variable is not empty, the contents of 00list will be ignored, and this variable will be used instead. EXAMPLE
include /usr/share/dpatch/dpatch.make build: build-stamp build-stamp: patch-stamp ${MAKE} touch build-stamp clean: clean1 unpatch clean1: ${MAKE} clean rm -rf debian/files debian/substvars debian/imaginary-package .PHONY: patch unpatch ... . . . SIDE EFFECTS
Using dpatch.make instead of calling dpatch directly has one side effect: it will create a file called patch-stamp containing some meta-information extracted from the scriptlets. Depending on a phony patch target directly from build target may cause build target to be reevaluated even when there is no change to be done. Instead, try making build-stamp depend on patch-stamp as specified in this example. AUTHOR
Originally by Gergely Nagy. Modified by Junichi Uekawa. SEE ALSO
dpatch(1), dpatch(7), dpatch-edit-patch(1), dpatch-list-patch(1), dpatch-convert-diffgz(1) DPATCH 2 Dec 13 2011 DPATCH.MAKE(7)