Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to mix the contents of 2 files into a new file? Post 302389587 by Levi85 on Monday 25th of January 2010 09:48:39 AM
Old 01-25-2010
How to mix the contents of 2 files into a new file?

Hello Everybody!

My question is how can I mix for example file_a with file_b in the following method:

After 2 lines of file_a put 2 lines from file_b to file_c.

For example:

file_a:

file_b:

Then I would like to get a file_c like this:

Thank you for your help!Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing files to contents of a file

Hi I have a problem trying to run a while statement. I have files under one directory that i need to compare to a value in filex and update that file with the result files in the directory are DFC1. DFC5. DFC345. DFC344. DFC9. The program i am trying to run will take the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SummitElse
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and remove all the contents of one file from another

Hi, I have two files, in which the second file has exactly the same contents of the first file with some additional records. Now, if I want to remove those matching lines from file2 and print only the extra contents which the first file does not have, I could use the below unsophisticated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Round Robin Distribution of Contents of file to 3 files

Hi I need to create a script that distributes in round robin fashion the contents of a file to 3 files. The number of lines in a content of file can vary from 1-n(Each line is just a one letter word).The entire lines needs to get distributed into 3 files ( The order doesnt matter) , at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: police
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a particular string in all files in folder and file contents

I need to replace all filesnames in a folder as well as its content from AK6 to AK11. Eg Folder has files AK6-Create.xml, AK6-system.py etc.. the files names as well as contents should be changes to AK9-Create.xml, AK9-system.py etc All files are xml and python scripts. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Candid247
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect all logs files contents into a single log file

Hi , I have a Data cleansing process which creates different log file for each step , when the process runs it creates following log files in below order: p1_tranfrmr_log.txt p1_tranfrmr_stats.txt p2_globrtr_log.txt p2_globrtr_stats.txt p3_cusparse_log.txt p3_cusparse_stats.txt ' '... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate many files which contents the same date as part of name file

Gents, I have lot of files in a folder where each file name includes the date of generation, then I would like to merge all the files for each date in a complete file. list of files in forder. dsd01_121104.txt dsd01_121105.txt dsd01_121106.txt dsd03_121104.txt dsd03_121105.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to copy the contents of two files into one file

Hi i need Script to copy the contents of two files into one file i have 2 fil X1.txt / X2.txt i need script to copy the contents of X1 and X2 In AllXfile X1.txt File X1 X2.txt File X2 AllXfile.txt File X1 File X2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azzeddine2005
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy all the contents of a list of files present in a folder to a particular file?

Hi All, I want to copy all the contents of a list of files in a folder to a particular file. i am using following command: cat dir/* >> newFile.txtIt's not working. Could you please help? Thanks, Pranav (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join two files combining multiple columns and produce mix and match output

I would like to join two files when two columns in each file matches with each other and then produce an output when taking multiple columns. Like I have file A 1234,ABCD,23,JOHN,NJ,USA 2345,ABCD,24,SAM,NY,USA 5678,GHIJ,24,TOM,NY,USA 5678,WXYZ,27,MAT,NJ,USA and file B ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output file name and file contents of multiple files to a single file

I am trying to consolidate multiple information files (<hostname>.Linux.nfslist) into one file so that I can import it into Excel. I can get the file contents with cat *Linux.nfslist >> nfslist.txt. I need each line prefaced with the hostname. I am unsure how to do this. --- Post updated at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kentlee65
5 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)