Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which kind of UNIX to major investment banks use? Post 302389123 by Scott on Friday 22nd of January 2010 05:42:31 PM
Old 01-22-2010
Most such firms have a "Careers" link on their web sites. Why not have a look around there to see what vacancies they have, and what skills they require?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris Unix vs HP Unix, Could someone point out the major differences.

Solaris Unix vs HP Unix, Could someone point out the major differences. I have been performing Support to Solaris Unix for about 6 years, now I am interviewing for a HP Unix position. Could someone point out the major differences? Should it be an easy transition? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hack
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i find staroffice or any other kind office program for unix or linux?

No detail:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what kind of UNIX

ok, so i want to figure out what type of UNIX i have and in this book im reading about it, it says that i can figure out what type i have by typing the command uname in the prompt. So i did this and it came up saying Darwin?? is that part of System V UNIX or BSD or do i have LINUX? if anyone can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiei
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to determine which kind of unix is used

how can i determine which type of unix (solaris ,AIX,HP-UX...) is installed on the machine that i am working? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What kind of security applications UNIX and Windows have in common?

Hi guys, may I know what kind of security applications do UNIX and Windows have in common? This is related to a project that is approaching its deadline, so would you all please be kind enough to help me? Thank You. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: austintham
0 Replies

6. Solaris

prtdiag and memory banks

hi, we have an e6900 and my sys admin says that the number of processors and memory were reduced to 4 and 8GB. However, a prtdiag |grep Memory returns 16GB of memory. So what is my system's memory? psrinfo returns 4 online and 4 offline CPUs. Thanks. Kumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumar27
1 Replies

7. SCO

SCO UNIX ftp - weird kind of working

hi, i am working on sco unix 5.07, i have 10 individual servers networked locally in which sco os is installed. one of them is not transferring the file to other servers but accepting all files. means Server (A) can accept the file through FTP from any server but not transferring FTP its own... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aafflatoon
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What kind of transfer protocol we have in UNIX?

I was asked this question on the interview. I know ftp, sftp, scp, rcp. They said one more indi or indy Could you please let me know it? Thanks, Oleg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
MAKEDEV(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MAKEDEV(3)

NAME
makedev, major, minor - manage a device number SYNOPSIS
#define _BSD_SOURCE #include <sys/types.h> dev_t makedev(int maj, int min); int major(dev_t dev); int minor(dev_t dev); DESCRIPTION
A device ID consists of two parts: a major ID, identifying the class of the device, and a minor ID, identifying a specific instance of a device in that class. A device ID is represented using the type dev_t. Given major and minor device IDs, makedev() combines these to produce a device ID, returned as the function result. This device ID can be given to mknod(2), for example. The major() and minor() functions perform the converse task: given a device ID, they return, respectively, the major and minor components. These macros can be useful to, for example, decompose the device IDs in the structure returned by stat(2). CONFORMING TO
The makedev() major() and minor() functions are not specified in POSIX.1, but are present on many other systems. NOTES
These interfaces are defined as macros. Since glibc 2.3.3, they have been aliases for three GNU-specific functions: gnu_dev_makedev(3), gnu_dev_major(3), and gnu_dev_minor(3). The latter names are exported, but the traditional names are more portable. SEE ALSO
mknod(2), stat(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-01 MAKEDEV(3)