Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX, Linux and Sun Solaris Dummy Post 302388961 by jimmyysk on Friday 22nd of January 2010 03:32:39 AM
Old 01-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
I don't think he's kidding, given that he said it's serious advice. If you start playing around on a live system without knowing anything about it, there are 2 possible outcomes:
  1. You're lucky and can work around your deficiencies in knowledge. Reaction time to incidents will be slower than with someone who knows what to do, but at least nothing will fail.
  2. You're not lucky, and everything will go up in a puff of smoke. Those responsible will get fired.
And give Murphys LawI'm willing to bet the second will occur sooner or later.

From personal experience, I can say that most administrators didn't learn most of their stuff from books or courses, but from real life experience, and that would probably take time and resources that probably neither your client nor your company is willing to put up for this contract.
Thanks for your advice. My company did setup a simulate system like my client place but I got no knowledge base how the system work. May be is best that you can give me some guide where can I find out some stuff that may be I can learn from scratch. Mostly like how to install the Sun solaris and oracle. My background knowledge is all on Windows platform.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Linux 7.3 & Sun Solaris 8 - common account login

is it possible to have an common login account for both linux and Solaris? Having problem in logging into linux, unable to load completely. home directory residue in Solaris 8, export out. No NIS running, only NFS in place. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between sun solaris and linux?

Hi All, Iam curious to know wat are the differences between a sun machine and a linux machine?( In terms of architecture,applications etc) Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raz
3 Replies

3. Linux

Migrating from SENDMAIL on SUN SOLARIS to POSTFIX on Linux

Migrating from sendmail on SUN Solaris to POSTFIX on Linux. I have been asked to migrate our sendmail to postfix on Linux and would appreciate and information. Hints and tips on the process involved. Perhaps any links to useful site or documentation that you may know about. Many Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun solaris unix commands

hi friends, I am working in Sun solaris unix 10 with shell commands and all these works properly. Then i created a small function which includes these commands. Now the problem arises. When the commands are run by calling this fuction.it shows error. Why i am not able to run the unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gjithin
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Vi in Linux Vs Sun Solaris

Hello All, there is some strange behaviour of VI editor while i am working in SunSolaris. I am trying to open a small file using vi abc.txt and it take around 5 mins for that file to open.. While i loggin to LINUX box which same profile and environment settings and opening the same file with vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

What are the different between UNIX and Sun Solaris OS?

What are the different between UNIX and Sun Solaris OS? could you discuss this in term of the following : memory management, processor, storage management, processing issue, coding issue. ps. thank you :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: [-BlackSheep-]
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

linux bash script to sun solaris

Hi guys, I seek a solution for this action for Sun solaris. find /sapmnt/${up}/global -prune -printf "%m %M %u %g %p\n" > $DAT1 The Application/Utilities in Sun Solaris are to old and cant understand "-printf". An update for Application/Utilities is exist, but not possible to implement... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ixibits
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the 1st step into unix sun solaris?

Dear all, recently, i thought about use UNIX.but i really ignore what to do? So KINDLY help: 1-suggest a good material to study (SCSAS) 2-any simulation/emulation to use? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
1 Replies
MADVISE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							MADVISE(2)

NAME
madvise, posix_madvise -- give advice about use of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The madvise() system call allows a process that has knowledge of its memory behavior to describe it to the system. The advice passed in may be used by the system to alter its virtual memory paging strategy. This advice may improve application and system performance. The behavior specified in advice can only be one of the following values: MADV_NORMAL Indicates that the application has no advice to give on its behavior in the specified address range. This is the system default behavior. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_NORMAL Same as MADV_NORMAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_SEQUENTIAL Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a sequential manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_SEQUENTIAL Same as MADV_SEQUENTIAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_RANDOM Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a random manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_RANDOM Same as MADV_RANDOM but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_WILLNEED Indicates that the application expects to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_WILLNEED Same as MADV_WILLNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_DONTNEED Indicates that the application is not expecting to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_DONTNEED Same as MADV_DONTNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_FREE Indicates that the application will not need the information contained in this address range, so the pages may be reused right away. The address range will remain valid. This is used with madvise() system call. MADV_ZERO_WIRED_PAGES Indicates that the application would like the wired pages in this address range to be zeroed out if the address range is deallocated without first unwiring the pages (i.e. a munmap(2) without a preceding munlock(2) or the application quits). This is used with madvise() system call. The posix_madvise() behaves same as madvise() except that it uses values with POSIX_ prefix for the advice system call argument. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
madvise() fails if one or more of the following are true: [EINVAL] The value of advice is incorrect. [EINVAL] The address range includes unallocated regions. [ENOMEM] The virtual address range specified by the addr and len are outside the range allowed for the address space. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. The type of addr has changed. SEE ALSO
mincore(2), minherit(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2), compat(5) HISTORY
The madvise function first appeared in 4.4BSD. The posix_madvise function is part of IEEE 1003.1-2001 and was first implemented in Mac OS X 10.2. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD