Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Repeat output of last command w/o repeating last command Post 302388733 by Andre_Merzky on Thursday 21st of January 2010 08:44:24 AM
Old 01-21-2010
As said before: 'tee' is your friend (example in tcsh)

Code:
  > alias cache '\!* | tee .cache'
  > alias repeat 'cat .cache'
  > cache ls
  > repeat ls

I am sure bash allows something similar. Automatic cleaning of the .cache is left as an excercise to the reader ;-)

Last edited by Andre_Merzky; 01-21-2010 at 10:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat a command in a shell

Hi there, i would like to repeat a command in a shell sript (bash) the script starts with a menu to choose a menu point to do something .... on the end of the script i would like to restart the programm to choose the menu points on the beginning. I would also make a sript that send... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat last entered command ?

Hi, how to do that ? I mean only print it but not execute. I'm using putty to interact with ksh. (in windows cmd up arrow does the job) thanks vilius (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat previous unix command

Hi all, Is there a way to bring back the previous unix command without retyping? I tried the "arror up" key, and it seems not working (sun solaris). What is the correct way? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syang68
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat same command on multiple lines

HI I have a text file named docs with 100 filenames with full directory path one by one. I want to perform an action on all of them, the action i want to do this chown bin:bin <filename>. The <filename> should be each line in the docs text file. Please give the code. Somebody told to use for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating awk command

Hi all, I have an awk command that needs to be ran multiple times in a script on one file containing lots of fields of data. The file look like this (the numbers are made up): 1234 2222 2223 2222 123 2223 3333 2323 3333 3321 3344 4444 The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating Substitution Command on VI

Hello Folks, how to write a command on vi that allow to repeat last substitution command? Here what I want to do : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 :.,+2s/\n/ /And I obtain : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command on linux without typing

Hi, I would like to run the clear command, for every 10 times I hit the enter button. Is there a way to track the number of times the enter button is hit and run the clear command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command for one sec

How to repeat the execution of a simple command like the following for 1 sec ? echo Hi The completion time for the command is not known, but we need to calculate the number of times this commans executes successfully within 1 sec. Thanks Kumarjit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

9. Programming

Java: Repeat a command

I came across a site to learn java and they give you practice problems to do. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this since I am totally new to Java. Here is the first problem: Write a program that will read in a name from the command line and write it out 100 times. Thank you for any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Repeat history command?

Assume i have typed 4 commands in the past like vi `ls -t |head -n 1` tail -2 test.txt ls -lrt | grep "/etc/profile.d" pwd Now if i type r p it should execute the command "pwd" likewise r t should execute tail -2 test.txt. Note: esc k and using up arrow and down arrow will get this work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramanareddygv
3 Replies
AXI-CACHE(1)							   User Commands						      AXI-CACHE(1)

NAME
axi-cache - query the Apt Xapian Index SYNOPSIS
axi-cache [options] command [args] DESCRIPTION
Query the Apt Xapian index. Commands: search commands: axi-cache again [query] repeat the last search, possibly adding query terms axi-cache help show a summary of commands axi-cache info print information about the apt-xapian-index environment axi-cache last [count] show the last results again axi-cache more [count] show more terms from the last search axi-cache rdetails pkgname[s] show details of reverse relationships for the given packages axi-cache search [terms] start a new search apt-cache front-ends: axi-cache depends pkgname[s] run apt-cache depends pkgname[s] axi-cache madison pkgname[s] run apt-cache madison pkgname[s] axi-cache policy pkgname[s] run apt-cache policy pkgname[s] axi-cache rdepends pkgname[s] run apt-cache rdepends pkgname[s] axi-cache show pkgname[s] run apt-cache show pkgname[s] axi-cache showpkg pkgname[s] run apt-cache showpkg pkgname[s] axi-cache showsrc pkgname[s] run apt-cache showsrc pkgname[s] OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -s SORT, --sort=SORT sort by the given value, as listed in /var/lib/apt-xapian-index/values. Add a '-' to reverse sort order --tags show matching tags, rather than packages --tabcomplete=TYPE suggest words for tab completion of the current command line (type is 'plain' or 'partial') --last use 'show --last' to limit tab completion to only the packages from the last search results --all disable pagination and always show all results. Note that search results are normally sorted by relevance, so you may find meaning- less results at the end of the output axi-cache 0.45 December 2011 AXI-CACHE(1)