Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doubt about pipes and subprocess Post 302388241 by royalibrahim on Tuesday 19th of January 2010 10:58:03 PM
Old 01-19-2010
Doubt about pipes and subprocess

Hi,

I am having a trivial doubt. Please see the below pipeline code sequence.

Code:
command1 | (command 2; commend 3)

I am aware that the command that follows pipe will run in the sub shell by the Unix kernel. But how about here? Since these set of commands are grouped under "parantheses", will they run inside another sub shell of pipe's shell? Hope my question is not so be-wilder to be answered Smilie

Last edited by royalibrahim; 01-20-2010 at 02:33 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt about pipes

can we use pipes to redirect the output of any command to grep ..... like i wanted to write this script about checking the online status of a certain user so ...can i send the output of who to grep directly using pipes... one way was this : who > temp grep $uname temp i was wondering if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evergreen_cool
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to wait for the subprocess to finish in tcl

Hi All Here i have a piece of code, set filename "./GopiRun.sh" #I need to wait here until the GopiRun.sh is completed how do i achive this exit. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
1 Replies

4. AIX

Subprocess errors

Hi Guys, Just a question about subprocesses.. Lately one of our servers has started to throw out the following error: SYSTEM ERROR: Too many subprocesses, cannot fork. Errno=12 We've already increased the threshold twice. Its now up to 8000 and the swap space has also been increased. We... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

python: what's wrong with my subprocess.Popen

my script is #!/usr/bin/env python import datetime import subprocess import sys import os import signal from time import sleep def runForAWhile(cmd, secs=10): print("running %s" % cmd) timeout = datetime.timedelta(seconds=secs) print timeout proc = subprocess.Popen(cmd,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python subprocess module

I need to run this command using python subprocess module (notice I'm using only variables): cmd = TESTPATH + ' -s ' + serviceName + ' -r ' + rdir + \ ' -m ' + masterAcct + ' -p ' + persona + ' -P ' + passwd (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xterm using python subprocess

Hi, I am trying to run a shell script using subprocess in python. I can run simple script with arguments using subprocess.But I am not able to embed xterm in subrocess command. #!/usr/bin/python import subprocess subprocess.call() Above code gives me error. Please help me in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python subprocess

Hi guys, I'm learning python and perl and i was trying to run from python a perl script using the subprocess module. I have an issue that i don't understand regarding this. I run this code: #!/usr/bin/python import subprocess p2 = subprocess.Popen(,stdout=subprocess.PIPE) output2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python3 subprocess troubles

After struggling with this for days now, I'm reaching out to the experts of all things linux for some help with this. I'm trying to run the following working command (on command line) inside a python script using subprocess: rsync -avzh --no-perms --delete --include="*sub*" --exclude='*'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies

10. Programming

[Python] - subprocess issue

So I have this basic script, see below import subprocess import shlex command = "gcloud projects list" subprocess.check_output(shlex.split(command)) subprocess.check_call(shlex.split(command)) The subprocess.check_call(shlex.split(command)) actually return what I expect. It returns... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)