Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep command to count characters Post 302388071 by joeyg on Tuesday 19th of January 2010 10:14:35 AM
Old 01-19-2010
Tools Here is another approach

Code:
>cat they.txt
BBBBBBYBBBBYBBYBBYBBYBBBB
BBBBBBYBBBBYBBYBBBBBYBBBB
BBBBBBYBBBBYBBYBYBBBBBBBB

>cut -c17-21 they.txt | sed "s/Y/Y\n/" | grep "Y" | wc -l
>cut -c17-21 they.txt | sed "s/Y/Y\n/" | grep "Y" -c

Last edited by joeyg; 01-19-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: added a 2nd command

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting using count, grep and count

Hi, I trying to sort information in a file by making count for every object. For example: A B A D A B C i would like to sort out count for each object (A's, B's and etc) but in actual case i dont know the object but i know the position ofthe object. do i need to use array as well? Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhpal_78
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurance of multiple strings using grep command

How to grep multiple string occurance in input file using single grep command? I have below input file with many IDP, RRBE messages. Out put should have count of each messages. I have used below command but it is not working grep -cH "(sent IDP Request)(Recv RRBCSM)" *.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep char count & pipe to sed command

Hi I am having a 'grep' headache Here is the contents of my file: (PBZ,CP,(((ME,PBZ,BtM),ON),((ME,((PBZ,DG),(CW9,PG11))),CW9,TS2,RT1))) I would like to count out how many times 'PBZ' occurs and then place that number in the line above 3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command to count the number of files with specific characters in name

Hey all, I'm looking for a command that will search a directory (and all subdirectories) and give me a file count for the number of files that contain specific characters within its filename. e.g. I want to find the number of files that contain "-a.jpg" in their name. All the searching I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphysm
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count the characters in a string

Hi all, I like to know how to get the count of each character in a given word. Using the commands i can easily get the output. How do it without using the commands ( in shell programming or any programming) if you give outline of the program ( pseudo code ) i used the following commands ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itkamaraj
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deletion of duplicate characters and count

to delete the duplicate characters in a file I used this code cat file.txt|tr -s "" tell the other ways using sed command to count of duplicate characters thanks:) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count different characters from one column

Hi everyone, and thanks after all I'm a biologist and i have to extract information from one text. The text is something like this 1023 A A 56 0 cc...,,,,..gg..Cc.c,,c..CC..,, 1024 T T 86 0 ..,,,..aaAA..,,aAA,,a,,A,,a 1025 G G 125 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beajorrin
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count characters after a line

Hi All! I would like to solve a problem but I have no clue of how do it!I will be grateful if someone could help me! I have a file like this: > genes | transcript ...sequence.... >ENSMUSG00000006638|ENSMUST00000006814 GGGAAATGGAATACCCCTACACAACCAAGATGCTGAGTTCCTCCCTGAGCCCGCAAAACG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of characters of wc -l output?

I want count number of characters / find the length of the 'wc -l' output This is the command bash-3.2$ gzcat /home/sid/file1.dat |wc -l 830752 So final out I want is 6 i.e lenght of 830752 I tried with awk bash-3.2$ gzcat /home/sid/file1.dat |wc -l | awk '{print length ($0)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count consecutive characters

Need to count consecutive characters in a string and give the output as below i/p=aaaabbcaa o/p=a4b2c1a2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
10 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)