Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep command to count characters Post 302388071 by joeyg on Tuesday 19th of January 2010 10:14:35 AM
Old 01-19-2010
Tools Here is another approach

Code:
>cat they.txt
BBBBBBYBBBBYBBYBBYBBYBBBB
BBBBBBYBBBBYBBYBBBBBYBBBB
BBBBBBYBBBBYBBYBYBBBBBBBB

>cut -c17-21 they.txt | sed "s/Y/Y\n/" | grep "Y" | wc -l
>cut -c17-21 they.txt | sed "s/Y/Y\n/" | grep "Y" -c

Last edited by joeyg; 01-19-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: added a 2nd command

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting using count, grep and count

Hi, I trying to sort information in a file by making count for every object. For example: A B A D A B C i would like to sort out count for each object (A's, B's and etc) but in actual case i dont know the object but i know the position ofthe object. do i need to use array as well? Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhpal_78
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurance of multiple strings using grep command

How to grep multiple string occurance in input file using single grep command? I have below input file with many IDP, RRBE messages. Out put should have count of each messages. I have used below command but it is not working grep -cH "(sent IDP Request)(Recv RRBCSM)" *.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep char count & pipe to sed command

Hi I am having a 'grep' headache Here is the contents of my file: (PBZ,CP,(((ME,PBZ,BtM),ON),((ME,((PBZ,DG),(CW9,PG11))),CW9,TS2,RT1))) I would like to count out how many times 'PBZ' occurs and then place that number in the line above 3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command to count the number of files with specific characters in name

Hey all, I'm looking for a command that will search a directory (and all subdirectories) and give me a file count for the number of files that contain specific characters within its filename. e.g. I want to find the number of files that contain "-a.jpg" in their name. All the searching I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphysm
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count the characters in a string

Hi all, I like to know how to get the count of each character in a given word. Using the commands i can easily get the output. How do it without using the commands ( in shell programming or any programming) if you give outline of the program ( pseudo code ) i used the following commands ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itkamaraj
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deletion of duplicate characters and count

to delete the duplicate characters in a file I used this code cat file.txt|tr -s "" tell the other ways using sed command to count of duplicate characters thanks:) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count different characters from one column

Hi everyone, and thanks after all I'm a biologist and i have to extract information from one text. The text is something like this 1023 A A 56 0 cc...,,,,..gg..Cc.c,,c..CC..,, 1024 T T 86 0 ..,,,..aaAA..,,aAA,,a,,A,,a 1025 G G 125 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beajorrin
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count characters after a line

Hi All! I would like to solve a problem but I have no clue of how do it!I will be grateful if someone could help me! I have a file like this: > genes | transcript ...sequence.... >ENSMUSG00000006638|ENSMUST00000006814 GGGAAATGGAATACCCCTACACAACCAAGATGCTGAGTTCCTCCCTGAGCCCGCAAAACG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of characters of wc -l output?

I want count number of characters / find the length of the 'wc -l' output This is the command bash-3.2$ gzcat /home/sid/file1.dat |wc -l 830752 So final out I want is 6 i.e lenght of 830752 I tried with awk bash-3.2$ gzcat /home/sid/file1.dat |wc -l | awk '{print length ($0)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count consecutive characters

Need to count consecutive characters in a string and give the output as below i/p=aaaabbcaa o/p=a4b2c1a2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
10 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)