Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripting Help - Display Processes Post 302387817 by isxrc on Monday 18th of January 2010 11:09:06 AM
Old 01-18-2010
Scripting Help - Display Processes

Hi, I was wondering if somebody could help me as I am struggling with writing a script for a training course.

Ive had to write 5 scripts and this is the last one but am struggling with this even though I understand what it is meant to do.....

PROBLEM: write a script which will allow you to find all users logged on to the system and display the processes they are running. The heading for each user must be their real name not the log in name.

I have identified I need to first use the "finger" command to obtain the full name of a user.

I then need to use ps -u to display the processes info underneath the name of the user.

I believe that this should be added to a while loop which then repeats the process in order to obtain the info for each user.

Please note I am not allowed to use sed or awk for this assignment.

Below is the code I have come up with so far. I think I am getting there but am unsure how to progress. Any help would be appreciated.

#!/bin/bash

name= finger | cut -d' ' -f 2-3 | sort

while read | line
do

echo $name
echo ps -u $line

done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Spawing multiple display processes from one shell.

Question: Suppose I want to, from the terminal, use a shell script that would do the display image.jpg command to load multiple images from a directory all at the same time. One terminal, and for example 10 image files. Basically I want to execute 10 different commands simultaniously all from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeTheGuy
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripting DISPLAY

I'm a little stump how to get the server's variable DISPLAY to be dynamically set to whichever client I'm connecting with. I'm using BASH but more familiar with ksh/sh. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benq70
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display what processes, users have opened at a given time

Hello, What i have to do is make a top 10 list of users sorted by the number of processes opened at a given time. Can anyone help me with finding out for a given moment, for all users how many processes each had opened? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabibyte
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate months and display in shell scripting

I just want to know, how do we calculate the months in shell scripting. If i give the input as 20-01-2011, the output should be 20-02-2011, 20-03-2011 or 20-04-2011........ How do i get this ? Cheers. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin24
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help scripting to start, check, and restart processes

Here it goes from my unexperienced point of view. I am using CentOS 5.6. I have a Java based server that needs to be running 24/7/365. To begin from the machine the server is on rebooting; I SSH in to a shell, cd to the server dir, screen -S server1, and execute ./exec (listed below) in the screen.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacG32
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display the First and Last name from a file using shell scripting

I am new to shell scripting and doing a similar thing @ work Stan:Smith:Detroit:MI Jim:Jones:Farmington Hills:MI Jack:Frost:Denver:CO Sue:Apple:New York:NY Cindy:Thompson:Battle Creek:MI John:Smith:Denver:CO George:Jones:New York:NY Need to create a shell script This script will display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakemathew
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell Scripting to display a output from a command

Please find my below requirement and see if you can help me on this. I am looking for a shell script which can provide me the below output. Manuall steps which i am doing now 1) First I source the File $ . ./WC_env.sh 2) Execute the command $ /app/oracle/product/mos/bin/mosotl -url... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudheshpn@gmail
2 Replies

8. Linux

How to display all daemon processes in priority order?

Hi, Is there any way to run chkconfig --list and to display all daemon processes in PRIORITY order, not in alphabetic order? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Display info about users (UID GID processes terminal)

I would like to get an opinion for my solution for this task and get feedback about better approach or mistakes I have made. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script which prints information about users whose names are specified in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornfan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to display processes which have been running for more than a X hours?

Hi, Is it possible to display processes which have been running for more than a 5hrs using a variation of the ps -ef command? Regards, Manny (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mantas44
5 Replies
finger(1)							   User Commands							 finger(1)

NAME
finger - display information about local and remote users SYNOPSIS
finger [-bfhilmpqsw] [username...] finger [-l] [ username@hostname 1 [ @hostname 2 .. .@hostname n...]] finger [-l] [ @hostname 1 [ @hostname 2 .. .@hostname n...]] DESCRIPTION
By default, the finger command displays in multi-column format the following information about each logged-in user: o user name o user's full name o terminal name (prepended with a `*' (asterisk) if write-permission is denied) o idle time o login time o host name, if logged in remotely Idle time is in minutes if it is a single integer, in hours and minutes if a `:' (colon) is present, or in days and hours if a `d' is present. When one or more username arguments are given, more detailed information is given for each username specified, whether they are logged in or not. username must be that of a local user, and may be a first or last name, or an account name. Information is presented in multi-line format as follows: o the user name and the user's full name o the user's home directory and login shell o time the user logged in if currently logged in, or the time the user last logged in; and the terminal or host from which the user logged in o last time the user received mail, and the last time the user read mail o the first line of the $HOME/.project file, if it exists o the contents of the $HOME/.plan file, if it exists Note: when the comment (GECOS) field in /etc/passwd includes a comma, finger does not display the information following the comma. If the arguments username@hostname1[@hostname2...@hostnamen] or @hostname1[@hostname2...@hostnamen] are used, the request is sent first to hostnamen and forwarded through each hostnamen-1 to hostname1. The program uses the finger user information protocol (see RFC 1288) to query that remote host for information about the named user (if username is specified), or about each logged-in user. The information dis- played is server dependent. As required by RFC 1288, finger passes only printable, 7-bit ASCII data. This behavior may be modified by a system administrator by using the PASS option in /etc/default/finger. Specifying PASS=low allows all characters less than decimal 32 ASCII. Specifying PASS=high allows all characters greater than decimal 126 ASCII. PASS=low,high or PASS=high,low allows both characters less than 32 and greater than 126 to pass through. OPTIONS
The following options are supported, except that the username@hostname form supports only the -l option: -b Suppresses printing the user's home directory and shell in a long format printout. -f Suppresses printing the header that is normally printed in a non-long format printout. -h Suppresses printing of the .project file in a long format printout. -i Forces "idle" output format, which is similar to short format except that only the login name, terminal, login time, and idle time are printed. -l Forces long output format. -m Matches arguments only on user name (not first or last name). -p Suppresses printing of the .plan file in a long format printout. -q Forces quick output format, which is similar to short format except that only the login name, terminal, and login time are printed. -s Forces short output format. -w Suppresses printing the full name in a short format printout. FILES
$HOME/.plan user's plan $HOME/.project user's projects /etc/default/finger finger options file /etc/passwd password file /var/adm/lastlog time of last login /var/adm/utmpx accounting ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), who(1), whois(1), passwd(4), attributes(5) Zimmerman, D., The Finger User Information Protocol, RFC 1288, Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS), Rutgers University, December 1991. NOTES
The finger user information protocol limits the options that may be used with the remote form of this command. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 finger(1)