Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Repeat output of last command w/o repeating last command Post 302387333 by glev2005 on Friday 15th of January 2010 09:49:23 AM
Old 01-15-2010
Repeat output of last command w/o repeating last command

Is there a way to repeat the output of the last command for filtering without running the command again? All I could think of was to copy all the data to a text file and process it that way, is there another way? Like say I want to grep server.server.lan from a dtrace that was pages long after I already ran it, is there a way to filter output after its already been sent to terminal?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat a command in a shell

Hi there, i would like to repeat a command in a shell sript (bash) the script starts with a menu to choose a menu point to do something .... on the end of the script i would like to restart the programm to choose the menu points on the beginning. I would also make a sript that send... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat last entered command ?

Hi, how to do that ? I mean only print it but not execute. I'm using putty to interact with ksh. (in windows cmd up arrow does the job) thanks vilius (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat previous unix command

Hi all, Is there a way to bring back the previous unix command without retyping? I tried the "arror up" key, and it seems not working (sun solaris). What is the correct way? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syang68
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat same command on multiple lines

HI I have a text file named docs with 100 filenames with full directory path one by one. I want to perform an action on all of them, the action i want to do this chown bin:bin <filename>. The <filename> should be each line in the docs text file. Please give the code. Somebody told to use for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating awk command

Hi all, I have an awk command that needs to be ran multiple times in a script on one file containing lots of fields of data. The file look like this (the numbers are made up): 1234 2222 2223 2222 123 2223 3333 2323 3333 3321 3344 4444 The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating Substitution Command on VI

Hello Folks, how to write a command on vi that allow to repeat last substitution command? Here what I want to do : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 :.,+2s/\n/ /And I obtain : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command on linux without typing

Hi, I would like to run the clear command, for every 10 times I hit the enter button. Is there a way to track the number of times the enter button is hit and run the clear command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command for one sec

How to repeat the execution of a simple command like the following for 1 sec ? echo Hi The completion time for the command is not known, but we need to calculate the number of times this commans executes successfully within 1 sec. Thanks Kumarjit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

9. Programming

Java: Repeat a command

I came across a site to learn java and they give you practice problems to do. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this since I am totally new to Java. Here is the first problem: Write a program that will read in a name from the command line and write it out 100 times. Thank you for any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Repeat history command?

Assume i have typed 4 commands in the past like vi `ls -t |head -n 1` tail -2 test.txt ls -lrt | grep "/etc/profile.d" pwd Now if i type r p it should execute the command "pwd" likewise r t should execute tail -2 test.txt. Note: esc k and using up arrow and down arrow will get this work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramanareddygv
3 Replies
DTRACE(1)						      General Commands Manual							 DTRACE(1)

NAME
dtrace - Dtrace compatibile user application static probe generation tool. SYNOPSIS
dtrace -s file [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
The dtrace command converts probe descriptions defined in file.d into a probe header file via the -h option or a probe description file via the -G option. OPTIONS
-h generate a systemtap header file. -G generate a systemtap probe definition object file. -o file is the name of the output file. If the -G option is given then the output file will be called file.o; if the -h option is given then the output file will be called file.h. -C run the cpp preprocessor on the input file when the -h option is given. -I file give this include path to cpp when the -C option is given. -k keep temporary files, for example the C language source for the -G option. --types generate probe argument typedef information when the -h option is given. EXAMPLES
Systemtap is source compatible with dtrace user application static probe support. Given a file test.d containing: provider sdt_probes { probe test_0 (int type); probe test_1 (struct astruct node); }; struct astruct {int a; int b;}; Then the command "dtrace -s test.d -G" will create the probe definition file test.o and the command "dtrace -s test.d -h" will create the probe header file test.h Subsequently the application can define probes using #include "test.h" ... struct astruct s; ... SDT_PROBES_TEST_0(value); ... SDT_PROBES_TEST_1(s); The application is linked with "test.o" when it is built. SEE ALSO
stap(1) stappaths(7) DTRACE(1)