Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] Executing script that is held in a variable Post 302387180 by jlliagre on Thursday 14th of January 2010 07:52:14 PM
Old 01-14-2010
Yes it is, usually with using the eval statement.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding out the length of a string held within a variable

:confused: Does anyone know which command I can use to find out the length of a string held within a variable? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to create variable, value not being held

I tried creating a variable with the awk command. The correct value is being printed to the screen; however, the variable max is not being set. The command "echo $max" is null. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. cat test.txt: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2005-01-12 20:51... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you parse a variable in a bash script?

I have a script I use on my web server (Apache2). I am changing to Lighttpd and need to make a few changes. This is what I use on my apache server #!/bin/bash # accepts 3 parameters: <domain name> <user name> <XXXXXXXX> # domain name is without www (just domain.com) # username would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertical98
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable issue in a bash in a shell script

Hi, I am trying to write a PBS shell script that launches a bash process. The issue is that the bash process needs a variable in it and the shell script is interpreting the variable. How do I pass this as a literal string? Here is my code snippit: TMP=".fasta" FILEOUT=$FILE$TMP cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioBob
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script errors when executing

I'm working on a script that will search through a directory for MKV files and remux them to MP4. I found a few other scripts around the net that do this, but they all have limitations that don't always get the job done. The main limitation I've found is that most scripts look for the video track... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne127
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write pid and command name to a txt file while executing a bash script

Hi All, Just have a requirement, I am executing a bash shell script, my requirement is to catch the pid and job name to a txt file in the same directory, is there anyway to do it? please help me out. Regards Rahul ---------- Post updated at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulkalra9
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Acces Variable from expect-Script in bash-Script

Hi all, I have a little problem with a expect in a bash Script. The hull of my script: #!/bin/sh ( expect -c ' set a \"eee\"; # the variable a ' ) echo $a; # using the variable out of the expect script I would like to use the variable out of the expect script(in bash),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandalfthepink
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script if condition not executing

issue is with .txt files (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing sed command inside a bash script

I want to run commands inside a bash script. An example is I want to pass the command in a string as regexp as an argument to the script, then run sed on the bash variable sed.sh regexp sed.sh "-i \"s/<p>//g\"" then call sed "$regexp" $fl (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kangol
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)