Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order Post 302386863 by EAGL€ on Wednesday 13th of January 2010 10:59:11 PM
Old 01-13-2010
Hi my friend, try this:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
for j in $(find . -type f -name "*.dat" | wc -l)
do
find . -type f -name "*.dat" >> all_files.txt
while read line;
        do
        mv $line /YOUR_PATH/my_file$j.dat
done<all_files.txt
done

regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files in numerical order

Hi, I'm trying to write a ksh script to copy a specified number of files from one directory to another. The files are named in the convention <switchname>_log.<num> and the numbers are sequential single digit onwards. I figured I could find some parameter for ls which would list the files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_H
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving directories to new directories on multiple servers

Hi - I am new to unix scripts...I need to move several directories on multiple servers to new directories. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackdaddy07
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving and renaming multiple files

Greetings, I know i can use the mv command to move and rename one file. How can I do this with multiple files? example pic01.bmp to pic0001.bmp how can i perform this function on an entire directory of sequential files and keep them in sequence? Hints, suggestions are most welcome:) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocinante
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving multiple files and renaming them on the fly

Hi All, Being new to scripting I am facing a new situation. We have an application that generates a file lets say dumpfile for each user under the users home directory when they execute the application. This is quite a huge file and imagine having that for over 40 users on a daily basis. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daemongk
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files after their directory name in multiple sub directories

So I am not sure if this should go in the shell forum or in the beginners. It is my first time posting on these forums. I have a directory, main_dir lets say, with multiple sub directories (one_dir through onehundred_dir for example) and in each sub directory there is a test.txt. How would one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotsbite
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving/copying files in a numerical order

Hi I am newbie to unix scripting, but i have enough knowledge to understand. I have a specific questions like, I use to collect like 3500 files per experiment, each one named like data_001.img.. data_002.img data_003.img .... data_3500.img I would like to move every 12 files in the 3500... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wpat
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding and moving files based on the last three numerical characters in the filename

Hi, I have a series of files (upwards of 500) the filename format is as follows CC10-1234P1999.WGS84.p190, all in one directory. Now the last three numeric characters, in this case 999, can be anything from 001 to 999. I need to move some of them to a seperate directory, the ones I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roche.j.mike
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract data from numbered files using linux in the numerical order-

Hi experts, I have a list of files containing forces as the only number as follows. Force1.txt Force2.txt Force3.txt Force4.txt Force5.txt . . . . . . . . . Force100.txt I want to put all the data(only a number ) in these forces files in the file with the same order like 1,2,3 ..100 .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving and renaming multiple files in a directory

Hi. I am trying to automate the movement and renaming of a number of files in a directory. I am using the 'mv' command as I do not have access to 'rename'. I have the following scripted FILES=$(ls /transfer/move/sys/mail/20130123/) if ; then for i in ${FILES} ; do mv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files in multiple directories

Hi I have the following file structure and I want to rename all the abc.jar files to abc_backup.jar rock@server:~/rakesh> ls -R .: test1 test2 test3 ./test1: abc.jar ./test2: abc.jar ./test3: abc.jar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
2 Replies
TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)													      TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-restore - restore a failed trace record SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd restore [OPTIONS] [command] cpu-file [cpu-file ...] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) restore command will restore a crashed trace-cmd-record(1) file. If for some reason a trace-cmd record fails, it will leave a the per-cpu data files and not create the final trace.dat file. The trace-cmd restore will append the files to create a working trace.dat file that can be read with trace-cmd-report(1). When trace-cmd record runs, it spawns off a process per CPU and writes to a per cpu file usually called trace.dat.cpuX, where X represents the CPU number that it is tracing. If the -o option was used in the trace-cmd record, then the CPU data files will have that name instead of the trace.dat name. If a unexpected crash occurs before the tracing is finished, then the per CPU files will still exist but there will not be any trace.dat file to read from. trace-cmd restore will allow you to create a trace.dat file with the existing data files. OPTIONS
-c Create a partial trace.dat file from the machine, to be used with a full trace-cmd restore at another time. This option is useful for embedded devices. If a server contains the cpu files of a crashed trace-cmd record (or trace-cmd listen), trace-cmd restore can be executed on the embedded device with the -c option to get all the stored information of that embedded device. Then the file created could be copied to the server to run the trace-cmd restore there with the cpu files. If *-o* is not specified, then the file created will be called 'trace-partial.dat'. This is because the file is not a full version of something that trace-cmd-report(1) could use. -t tracing_dir Used with -c, it overrides the location to read the events from. By default, tracing information is read from the debugfs/tracing directory. -t will use that location instead. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just tar -cvf events.tar debugfs/tracing and copy and untar that file locally, and use that directory instead. -k kallsyms Used with -c, it overrides where to read the kallsyms file from. By default, /proc/kallsyms is used. -k will override the file to read the kallsyms from. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just copy the /proc/kallsyms file locally, and use -k to point to that file. -o output' By default, trace-cmd restore will create a trace.dat file (or trace-partial.dat if -c is specified). You can specify a different file to write to with the -o option. -i input By default, trace-cmd restore will read the information of the current system to create the initial data stored in the trace.dat file. If the crash was on another machine, then that machine should have the trace-cmd restore run with the -c option to create the trace.dat partial file. Then that file can be copied to the current machine where trace-cmd restore will use -i to load that file instead of reading from the current system. EXAMPLES
If a crash happened on another box, you could run: $ trace-cmd restore -c -o box-partial.dat Then on the server that has the cpu files: $ trace-cmd restore -i box-partial.dat trace.dat.cpu0 trace.dat.cpu1 This would create a trace.dat file for the embedded box. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)