Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problems with the use of write() Post 302386185 by gkons on Monday 11th of January 2010 03:45:59 PM
Old 01-11-2010
Problems with the use of write()

I have written a code in c using eclipse under linux ubuntu 9.10.
I want to print an array of integers in stdout using write(). When I run this command line

Code:
write(1, &readbuffer, sizeof(readbuffer) /sizeof(int));

What I get is "�Lw�薨��" !
From what I know the second argument of write is pointer to data, so normally I shouldn't have problems with the type of data. Why is this happening and is there a way to print my data correctly using write()?
I know that using printf() would make things easier, but I would like to know if there is a solution for using the function write().
Thank you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'make' problems (compliation problems?)

I'm trying to compile and install both most recent version of 'make' and the most recent version of 'openssh' on my Sparc20. I've run into the following problems... and I don't know what they mean. Can someone please help me resolve these issues? I'm using the 'make' version that was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write

hi buddies i want to write a awk script for the file like this: Aaj rootha huwa ek dost bahut yaad aaya, Achha guzra huwa kuch waqt bahut yaad aaya, Meri aankhon ke har ek ashq pe rone wala, Aaj jab aankh yeh royi to bahut yaad aaya, Jo mere dard ko seene mein chhupa leta thaa, Jo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAKSHMI NARAYAN
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

5. Programming

Write-Write on a socket

Can anyone tell what happens if each end writes at the same time on the same socket ? - if one of them issues a read() after write() has completed, will it record into the buffer what the other sent ? ex. e1 writes to e2 - - - while - - - e2 writes to e1 (at the same time) e1 read () - what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gendaox
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with "write" and "wall"

Hello, I am using VirtualBox to simulate a small network with two Linux computers, the host is Mac OS X. My problem is that I can't send "write" and "wall" messages from the host to one of those Linux computers. Here is what works: - The virtual Linux computer answers "ping" messages that have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 123_abc
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not getting how to write

Hi Team, I am trying for below requiremebt but not getting how to go. When i give below command amqrfdm -m SUN it gives the output as below amqrfdm for v7.0 Date(2013-08-12 )Time(14.06.42) Version(7.0.1.3)(p701-103-100813) Product(WebSphere MQ for Solaris (SPARC platform)) #)... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to write write multiple cronjobs in shellscript??

Hi All, I need the answer of below question? 1) How to write multiple cronjobs in shellscript? Is there any way or we cant write in shellscript... Regards, Priyanka (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
2 Replies

9. Programming

Interactive Python 3.5+ sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() bug?

(Apologies for any typos.) OSX 10.12.3 AND Windows 10. This is for the serious Python experts on at least 3.5.x and above... In script format sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() seems to work correctly. Have I found a serious bug in the interactive sys.stdout.write() AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
GSM(3)							     Library Functions Manual							    GSM(3)

NAME
gsm_create, gsm_destroy, gsm_encode, gsm_decode -- GSM 06.10 lossy sound compression SYNOPSIS
#include "gsm.h" gsm gsm_create(); void gsm_encode(handle, src, dst) gsm handle; gsm_signal src[160]; gsm_frame dst; int gsm_decode(handle, src, dst) gsm handle; gsm_frame src; gsm_signal dst[160]; void gsm_destroy(handle) gsm handle; DESCRIPTION
Gsm is an implementation of the final draft GSM 06.10 standard for full-rate speech transcoding. gsm_create() initializes a gsm pass and returns a 'gsm' object which can be used as a handle in subsequent calls to gsm_decode(), gsm_encode() or gsm_destroy(). gsm_encode() encodes an array of 160 13-bit samples (given as gsm_signal's, signed integral values of at least 16 bits) into a gsm_frame of 33 bytes. (gsm_frame is a type defined as an array of 33 gsm_bytes in gsm.h.) gsm_decode() decodes a gsm_frame into an array of 160 13-bit samples (given as gsm_signals), which sound rather like what you handed to gsm_encode() on the other side of the wire. gsm_destroy() finishes a gsm pass and frees all storage associated with it. Sample format The following scaling is assumed for input to the algorithm: 0 1 11 12 S..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..*..*..* Only the top 13 bits are used as a signed input value. The output of gsm_decode() has the three lower bits set to zero. RETURN VALUE
gsm_create() returns an opaque handle object of type gsm, or 0 on error. gsm_decode() returns -1 if the passed frame is invalid, else 0. EXAMPLE
#include "gsm.h" gsm handle; gsm_frame buf; gsm_signal sample[160]; int cc, soundfd; play() { /* read compressed data from standard input, write to soundfd */ if (!(handle = gsm_create())) error... while (cc = read(0, (char *)buf, sizeof buf)) { if (cc != sizeof buf) error... if (gsm_decode(handle, buf, sample) < 0) error... if (write(soundfd, sample, sizeof sample) != sizeof sample) error... } gsm_destroy(handle); } record() { /* read from soundfd, write compressed to standard output */ if (!(handle = gsm_create())) error... while (cc = read(soundfd, sample, sizeof sample)) { if (cc != sizeof sample) error... gsm_encode(handle, sample, buf); if (write(1, (char *)buf, sizeof buf) != sizeof sample) error... } gsm_destroy(handle); } BUGS
Please direct bug reports to jutta@cs.tu-berlin.de and cabo@cs.tu-berlin.de. SEE ALSO
toast(1), gsm_print(3), gsm_explode(3), gsm_option(3) GSM(3)