Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux mdadm - Swapping 500GB disks for 1TB Post 302386054 by mark54g on Monday 11th of January 2010 07:21:13 AM
Old 01-11-2010
An easier way might be this. If you have enough space on the 1TB drive to fit all your data, then add 1 1TB drive after failing out 1 of the RAID 5 drives. Copy your data. Remove the other drives in the RAID 5 and use the remaining drives to create an md RAID 5 with 1 drive missing. You can specify that you are doing so
Copy the data from the single 1TB drive to the array, then add that drive to the array after initializing it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

500Gb Maxtor USB disk on Solaris 9

Does anyone succesfully is able to get the drive to work on Solaris 9? The OS recognizes the drive, however 'format -e' says "drive type unknown' I then set CHS manually, but only 120Gb shows. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuan_quan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Multiple Backups to USB 1TB Drives using dd

First of all, great web site! I have been using it for a while but just registered today. It's been a great resource for me. Now, on to my issue.;) I'm geographically separated from six (Sun v245s) development servers that I have been asked to backup and restore as development is done and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShawnD41
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mdadm question

Hello, I have 4 drives (500G each) in a raid 10, I got a power failior and this is the result? cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : md126 : inactive sdb sdc sdd sde 1953536528 blocks super external:-md127/0 md127 : inactive sdd(S) sde(S) sdb(S) sdc(S) 9028 blocks super... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmokros
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mdadm container! How does it work

Hi everyone, I am not sure if I understand how mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=container works? A device called /dev/md0 appears in /proc/mdstat but I am not sure how to use that device? I have 2 blank drives with 1 500GB partition on each. I would like to setup mirroring, but not in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hytron
0 Replies

5. AIX

Can't backup more than ~1TB.

Hello all, I create a backup of a file system with hostA # find . | backup -iqvf /backup/hostA.fsA.backup After a while I get the following error message: backup medium write error: File too large Check backup media and rerun the backup /backup is a NFS mount and is the backup device... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

mdadm for / and /boot

had this RHEL 5 installation with /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 running.. created two more partitions /dev/sdj1 and /dev/sdj2 , the same sized partition as /dev/sda trying to use mdadm to create RAID1 .. I cannot even do it in "rescue" mode, I wonder if it can be done.. it kept... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Hot swapping disks on V240 - blue light not lit after cfgadm -c unconfigure

Hot swapping a drive on V240. So, I do cfgadm -c unconfigure <disk>. Then cfgadm -al reports disk as unconfigured as expected. format then tells me there is no disk. BUT, blue light does not come on. Done the exact same command on my V440 and blue light does come on. V240 Server Admin... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file into chunks of 1TB

Hi I have a file with different filesystems with there sizes. I need to split them in chucks of 1TB. The file looks like vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 187428400 10601AW1 vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 479504596 10604AW1 vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 19940 10605AID vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 1242622044... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
4 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

MDADM Failure - where it came from?

Hello, i have a system with 6 sata3 seagate st3000dm01 disks running on stable Debian with software raid mdadm. i have md0 for root and md1 for swap and md2 for the files. i now want to add one more disk = sdh4 for md2 but i got this errors: The new disk is connected to an 4 port sata... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunghost
7 Replies
HPSA(4) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   HPSA(4)

NAME
hpsa - HP Smart Array SCSI driver SYNOPSIS
modprobe hpsa [ hpsa_allow_any=1 ] DESCRIPTION
hpsa is a SCSI driver for HP Smart Array RAID controllers. Options hpsa_allow_any=1: This option allows the driver to attempt to operate on any HP Smart Array hardware RAID controller, even if it is not explicitly known to the driver. This allows newer hardware to work with older drivers. Typically this is used to allow installation of operating systems from media that predates the RAID controller, though it may also be used to enable hpsa to drive older controllers that would normally be handled by the cciss(4) driver. These older boards have not been tested and are not supported with hpsa, and cciss(4) should still be used for these. Supported hardware The hpsa driver supports the following Smart Array boards: Smart Array P700M Smart Array P212 Smart Array P410 Smart Array P410i Smart Array P411 Smart Array P812 Smart Array P712m Smart Array P711m StorageWorks P1210m Configuration details To configure HP Smart Array controllers, use the HP Array Configuration Utility (either hpacuxe(8) or hpacucli(8)) or the Offline ROM-based Configuration Utility (ORCA) run from the Smart Array's option ROM at boot time. FILES
Device nodes Logical drives are accessed via the SCSI disk driver (sd(4)), tape drives via the SCSI tape driver (st(4)), and the RAID controller via the SCSI generic driver (sg(4)), with device nodes named /dev/sd*, /dev/st*, and /dev/sg*, respectively. HPSA-specific host attribute files in /sys /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/rescan This is a write-only attribute. Writing to this attribute will cause the driver to scan for new, changed, or removed devices (e.g,. hot-plugged tape drives, or newly configured or deleted logical drives, etc.) and notify the SCSI midlayer of any changes detected. Normally a rescan is triggered automatically by HP's Array Configuration Utility (either the GUI or the command-line variety); thus, for logical drive changes, the user should not normally have to use this attribute. This attribute may be useful when hot plugging devices like tape drives, or entire storage boxes containing pre-configured logical drives. /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/firmware_revision This attribute contains the firmware version of the Smart Array. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_host/host4 # cat firmware_revision 7.14 HPSA-specific disk attribute files in /sys /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/unique_id This attribute contains a 32 hex-digit unique ID for each logical drive. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat unique_id 600508B1001044395355323037570F77 /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/raid_level This attribute contains the RAID level of each logical drive. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat raid_level RAID 0 /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/lunid This attribute contains the 16 hex-digit (8 byte) LUN ID by which a logical drive or physical device can be addressed. c:b:t:l are the controller, bus, target and lun of the device. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat lunid 0x0000004000000000 Supported ioctl() operations For compatibility with applications written for the cciss(4) driver, many, but not all of the ioctls supported by the cciss(4) driver are also supported by the hpsa driver. The data structures used by these ioctls are described in the Linux kernel source file include/linux/cciss_ioctl.h. CCISS_DEREGDISK, CCISS_REGNEWDISK, CCISS_REGNEWD These three ioctls all do exactly the same thing, which is to cause the driver to rescan for new devices. This does exactly the same thing as writing to the hpsa-specific host "rescan" attribute. CCISS_GETPCIINFO Returns PCI domain, bus, device and function and "board ID" (PCI subsystem ID). CCISS_GETDRIVVER Returns driver version in three bytes encoded as: (major_version << 16) | (minor_version << 8) | (subminor_version) CCISS_PASSTHRU, CCISS_BIG_PASSTHRU Allows "BMIC" and "CISS" commands to be passed through to the Smart Array. These are used extensively by the HP Array Configuration Utility, SNMP storage agents, etc. See cciss_vol_status at <http://cciss.sf.net> for some examples. SEE ALSO
cciss(4), sd(4), st(4), cciss_vol_status(8), hpacucli(8), hpacuxe(8), <http://cciss.sf.net>, and Documentation/scsi/hpsa.txt and Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-pci-devices-cciss in the Linux kernel source tree COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-05 HPSA(4)