Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting can I specifiy the start and end times manually Post 302385706 by shajju on Saturday 9th of January 2010 09:52:50 AM
Old 01-09-2010
can I specifiy the start and end times manually

Hi

I have a ksh script which fetches data from a db using a number of .arc files and creates CSV files for them and puts them on the server.

Question is, how can I specifiy the start and stop times specifically so that data is fetched for a certain period?

# Get the current time as the stop time.

Code:
stoptime=`date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:00"`
if test $? -ne 0
then
   echo "Failed to get the date"
   rm -f $1/.optpamd.pid
   exit 4
fi

# Read the lasttime file to get the start time
# optlasttime contains the last time the database was
# successfully queried. The file is automatically created by
# this script

Code:
if test -f $1/optlasttime
then
   starttime=`cat $1/optlasttime`

# If the length of the chain is zero
# (lasttime is empty) it is updated properly
# and I wait for the following hour
Code:
   if test -z "$starttime"
   then
      echo "Empty file lasttime"
      echo $stoptime > $1/optlasttime
      rm -f $1/.optpamd.pid
      exit 5
   fi
else
   # If lasttime does not exist I create, it with the present date
   # and I wait for the following hour
   echo "File lasttime does not exist"
   echo $stoptime > $1/optlasttime
   rm -f $1/.optpamo.pid
   exit 6
fi

# Get a list of reports to run

Code:
while test "$starttime" != "$stoptime"
do

day=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,9,2)}'`
month=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,6,2)}'`
ano=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,1,4)}'`
hour=`echo ${starttime#* } | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,1,2)}'`
minute=`echo ${starttime#* } | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,4,2)}'`

Code:
more code to fetch data from db

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start and End times of background processes

Hi I'm running 4 jobs in the background and I need to write the start and end times to a log file. I know there's probably a simple way to do this but, I can't think of it. I've used nohup <script name> & but, that doesn't record the times. Is there a way to get the start and end times of a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonemonolith
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching between start and end time

Hello All, Below mentioned is my log file. I want to make a script which ask for start time and then end time and then search particular word between those lines. Like start time:2 end time: 4 and then search all values starting from cell 84 between this time. Please Help ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I specifiy the start and end times manually

Hi I have a ksh script which fetches data from a db using a number of .arc files and creates CSV files for them and puts them on the server. Question is, can I specifiy the start and stop times manually and run the script manually to fetch data for a certain period? # Get the current... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajju
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to start jobs manually from Crontab

Hello - I have about 7 jobs listed in my crontab. They run automatically everyday. However I am wondering how to start them manually? My system is SunOS 5.10 Jobs are listed in this fashion: 41 00 * * 1-5 /system/volms/.vbc/startmeup 01 44 * * 0-6 /system/volms/.vbc/kill (space)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating start and end of UK summertime

I have a need to calculate when British Summer Time starts and ends. After messing around, the following seems to work in Bash. echo `date +%Y`-03-`cal 3 \`date +%Y\` | grep -oE "^]{2}" | tail -1`T01:00:00Zand echo `date +%Y`-03-`cal 10 \`date +%Y\` | grep -oE "^]{2}" | tail ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: esb4me
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I search with start and end criteria?

Hello I'm using cygwin and wouldlike extract information from an xml file according specific values, but don't know how. Let's say in a file content looks like this: <tab> SURNAME=Mustermann NAME=Max CUSTOMER SINCE= 18.01.2000 ADDRESS=Birmingham ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: witchblade
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append no of times a column is repeated at the end

Hi folks, Iam working on a bash script, i need to print how many times column 2 repeated at the end of each line. Input.txt COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 1 XX 45 N 2 YY 34 y 3 ZZ 44 N 4 XX 89 Y 5 XX 45 N 6 YY 84 D 7 ZZ 22 S Output.txt COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 COL5 1 XX 45 N 3 2 YY 34... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract start/end times from log file to CSV file?

Hi, I have a log file (log.txt) that which contains lines of date/time. I need to create a script to extract a CSV file (out.csv) that gets all the sequential times (with only 1 minute difference) together by stating the start time and end time of this period. Sample log file (log.txt) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Zizo
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting week start date and end date based on custom period start dates

Below are my custom period start and end dates based on a calender, these dates are placed in a file, for each period i need to split into three weeks for each period row, example is given below. Could you please help out to achieve solution through shell script.. File content: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
2 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)