Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux mdadm - Swapping 500GB disks for 1TB Post 302385676 by snoop2048 on Saturday 9th of January 2010 04:55:58 AM
Old 01-09-2010
mdadm - Swapping 500GB disks for 1TB

Hi,

I have a three disk raid 5, with 500GB disks.

This is close to being full, and whilst I can just add another disk and rebuild to add another 500GB, I would prefer to replace with 1TB disks. So i have some questions.

Can I replace these disks one by one with bigger disks? I understand there is a risk here, as there was when I went from RAID 0 to RAID 5, but I am happy to accept them.

I plan to buy 2x1TB disks, and pair two of the old 500GB disks into a 1TB volume. Giving a raid 5 over 3 1TB disks.

I figured it was possible doing the below, but it will take me a week! Is there a better way?

Converting 1TB raid (3x500GB - Raid 5) to 2TB raid (3x1TB)

1) Add new 1TB disk to box
2) Copy data to new 1TB disk from old 1TB raid.
3) Remove old array
4) Add another 1TB disk and create RAID 0 with other disk.
5) wipe the old array, add two 500GB as 1TB volume
6) Convert 2TB RAID 0 to Raid 5.

I have done something similar, i.e. raid 0 - raid 5, but it took alot of time, and its a high risk strategy.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Si Smilie

Last edited by snoop2048; 01-09-2010 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

500Gb Maxtor USB disk on Solaris 9

Does anyone succesfully is able to get the drive to work on Solaris 9? The OS recognizes the drive, however 'format -e' says "drive type unknown' I then set CHS manually, but only 120Gb shows. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuan_quan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Multiple Backups to USB 1TB Drives using dd

First of all, great web site! I have been using it for a while but just registered today. It's been a great resource for me. Now, on to my issue.;) I'm geographically separated from six (Sun v245s) development servers that I have been asked to backup and restore as development is done and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShawnD41
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mdadm question

Hello, I have 4 drives (500G each) in a raid 10, I got a power failior and this is the result? cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : md126 : inactive sdb sdc sdd sde 1953536528 blocks super external:-md127/0 md127 : inactive sdd(S) sde(S) sdb(S) sdc(S) 9028 blocks super... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmokros
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mdadm container! How does it work

Hi everyone, I am not sure if I understand how mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=container works? A device called /dev/md0 appears in /proc/mdstat but I am not sure how to use that device? I have 2 blank drives with 1 500GB partition on each. I would like to setup mirroring, but not in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hytron
0 Replies

5. AIX

Can't backup more than ~1TB.

Hello all, I create a backup of a file system with hostA # find . | backup -iqvf /backup/hostA.fsA.backup After a while I get the following error message: backup medium write error: File too large Check backup media and rerun the backup /backup is a NFS mount and is the backup device... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

mdadm for / and /boot

had this RHEL 5 installation with /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 running.. created two more partitions /dev/sdj1 and /dev/sdj2 , the same sized partition as /dev/sda trying to use mdadm to create RAID1 .. I cannot even do it in "rescue" mode, I wonder if it can be done.. it kept... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Hot swapping disks on V240 - blue light not lit after cfgadm -c unconfigure

Hot swapping a drive on V240. So, I do cfgadm -c unconfigure <disk>. Then cfgadm -al reports disk as unconfigured as expected. format then tells me there is no disk. BUT, blue light does not come on. Done the exact same command on my V440 and blue light does come on. V240 Server Admin... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file into chunks of 1TB

Hi I have a file with different filesystems with there sizes. I need to split them in chucks of 1TB. The file looks like vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 187428400 10601AW1 vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 479504596 10604AW1 vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 19940 10605AID vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 1242622044... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
4 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

MDADM Failure - where it came from?

Hello, i have a system with 6 sata3 seagate st3000dm01 disks running on stable Debian with software raid mdadm. i have md0 for root and md1 for swap and md2 for the files. i now want to add one more disk = sdh4 for md2 but i got this errors: The new disk is connected to an 4 port sata... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunghost
7 Replies
raidtab(5)							File Formats Manual							raidtab(5)

NAME
raidtab - configuration file for md (RAID) devices DESCRIPTION
/etc/raidtab is the default configuration file for the raid tools (raidstart and company). It defines how RAID devices are configured on a system. FORMAT
/etc/raidtab has multiple sections, one for each md device which is being configured. Each section begins with the raiddev keyword. The order of items in the file is important. Later raiddev entries can use earlier ones (which allows RAID-10, for example), and the parsing code isn't overly bright, so be sure to follow the ordering in this man page for best results. Here's a sample md configuration file: # # sample raiddev configuration file # 'old' RAID0 array created with mdtools. # raiddev /dev/md0 raid-level 0 nr-raid-disks 2 persistent-superblock 0 chunk-size 8 device /dev/hda1 raid-disk 0 device /dev/hdb1 raid-disk 1 raiddev /dev/md1 raid-level 5 nr-raid-disks 3 nr-spare-disks 1 persistent-superblock 1 parity-algorithm left-symmetric device /dev/sda1 raid-disk 0 device /dev/sdb1 raid-disk 1 device /dev/sdc1 raid-disk 2 device /dev/sdd1 spare-disk 0 Here is more information on the directives which are in raid configuration files; the options are listen in this file in the same order they should appear in the actual configuration file. raiddev device This introduces the configuration section for the stated device. nr-raid-disks count Number of raid devices in the array; there should be count raid-disk entries later in the file. (current maximum limit for RAID devices -including spares- is 12 disks. This limit is already extended to 256 disks in experimental patches.) nr-spare-disks count Number of spare devices in the array; there should be count spare-disk entries later in the file. Spare disks may only be used with RAID4 and RAID5, and allow the kernel to automatically build new RAID disks as needed. It is also possible to add/remove spares run- time via raidhotadd/raidhotremove, care has to be taken that the /etc/raidtab configuration exactly follows the actual configuration of the array. (raidhotadd/raidhotremove does not change the configuration file) persistent-superblock 0/1 newly created RAID arrays should use a persistent superblock. A persistent superblock is a small disk area allocated at the end of each RAID device, this helps the kernel to safely detect RAID devices even if disks have been moved between SCSI controllers. It can be used for RAID0/LINEAR arrays too, to protect against accidental disk mixups. (the kernel will either correctly reorder disks, or will refuse to start up an array if something has happened to any member disk. Of course for the 'fail-safe' RAID variants (RAID1/RAID5) spares are activated if any disk fails.) Every member disk/partition/device has a superblock, which carries all information necessary to start up the whole array. (for autodetection to work all the 'member' RAID partitions should be marked type 0xfd via fdisk) The superblock is not visible in the final RAID array and cannot be destroyed accidentally through usage of the md device files, all RAID data content is available for filesystem use. parity-algorithm which The parity-algorithm to use with RAID5. It must be one of left-asymmetric, right-asymmetric, left-symmetric, or right-symmetric. left-symmetric is the one that offers maximum performance on typical disks with rotating platters. chunk-size size Sets the stripe size to size kilobytes. Has to be a power of 2 and has a compilation-time maximum of 4M. (MAX_CHUNK_SIZE in the ker- nel driver) typical values are anything from 4k to 128k, the best value should be determined by experimenting on a given array, alot depends on the SCSI and disk configuration. device devpath Adds the device devpath to the list of devices which comprise the raid system. Note that this command must be followed by one of raid-disk, spare-disk, or parity-disk. Also note that it's possible to recursively define RAID arrays, ie. to set up a RAID5 array of RAID5 arrays. (thus achieving two-disk failure protection, at the price of more disk space spent on RAID5 checksum blocks) raid-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the raid array. spare-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the spare disk array. parity-disk index The most recently defined device is moved to the end of the raid array, which forces it to be used for parity. failed-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the raid array as a failed device. This allows you to create raid 1/4/5 devices in degraded mode - useful for installation. Don't use the smallest device in an array for this, put this after the raid-disk definitions! NOTES
The raidtools are derived from the md-tools and raidtools packages, which were originally written by Marc Zyngier, Miguel de Icaza, Gadi Oxman, Bradley Ward Allen, and Ingo Molnar. SEE ALSO
raidstart(8), raid0run(8), mkraid(8), raidstop(8) raidtab(5)