Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to grep the contents of a variable.. Post 302385104 by funksen on Thursday 7th of January 2010 05:04:47 AM
Old 01-07-2010
Code:
find ${ORACLE_HOME}/rdbms/audit -name "*.aud" -exec grep yourstring {} \; >> $LOGFILE

Edit: I see you want to grep for every pattern found in a file, so use Franklins method

Last edited by funksen; 01-07-2010 at 06:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding contents of a variable to a command

hi all, i'm new to shell scripting, so i'm not sure how to work this. Is it possible to read in the contents of a variable and add it to a command? for example: ------------------------ #!/bin/sh set example = -dfr rm ${example} ------------------------ when i run the script, i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammarays
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to strip out the contents of file using grep

Hi, I am receving a file from remote site which has EDI information for 830, 862 and 997 and I want to extect the data for 997 using grep's or any other methods. The data look like this: ISA~000 0000-0001-1000~997 AK1000~m 000~IEA~M ISA~000 0000-0001-1000~849 000~IEA~M ISA~000... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Save contents of a Variable

I want to save the contents of a variable to a file. How can that be achieved? I have tried with: echo $varname > textfile.txt but for some reason it does not print anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique sort contents of a variable

Hi , I have #echo $var1 #hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk0 hdisk2 Now I need to remove duplicate entries from this . ie. after sorting it should only have hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk0 . I can have these values in a array as well . I understand we can use sort -u to remove the duplicates in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenbvarrier
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep the contents

Hi, Can I get the simple unix command or script to get the output as mentioned below. Input Contents: Processing file: home/j2ee-apps/web-estore/123.txt File: 123.txt Status: Locally Added Processing file: home/j2ee-apps/web-estore/META-INF/application.xml Processing file:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

My file is in this format : username : student information : default shell : student ID Eg : joeb:Joe Bennett:/bin/csh:1234 jerryd:Jerry Daniels:/bin/csh:2345 deaverm: Deaver Michelle:/bin/bash:4356 joseyg:Josey Guerra:/bin/bash:8767 michaelh:Michael Hall:/bin/ksh:1547 I have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep contents from metastat command

Hi, after issuing metastat command I am getting output as follows Actually these soft partitions are more than 100. I want output as Device Name & Size. for eg d4004 2.0 GB (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxian
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem to grep contents from a file

hi, I'm trying to grep content from one file in another file. The file that I'm searching into is large and hence I need to temporarily unzip it first. gzip -dc ALL.chr2.phase3_shapeit2_mvncall_integrated_v5a.20130502.genotypes.vcf.gz | grep '169997024\|190670539\|128051369' >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janshamsani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the contents of a variable

i want to reduce the OPTIONS variable which is a list of email addresses to just the unique entries. The following works, but, i would like to accomplish it without using the temporary file (dest.txt) $echo $OPTIONS a b c A B D ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)