Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Creating backup of files being deleted Post 302384499 by swapnil.nawale on Tuesday 5th of January 2010 01:52:39 PM
Old 01-05-2010
Creating backup of files being deleted

Hi All ,

We usually tend to use rm -f or rm -rf commands to delete files and directories in UNIX based Systems. But despite of utter care while deletion, there is high possibility that some of important files get deleted by mistake (as in the case of rm -f *).

So , one way to avoid this could be creating the backup of files deleted to some other directory. But for this , the execution of each rm -f and rm -rf command needs to be tracked.

So , can we devise any mechanism with the help of Shell Script or some other way that everytime rm -f or rm-rf command is executed , the files being deleted will be copied to some other directory ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

creating log files for a backup script on solaris

I have a simple backup script that I am running to back up drives across the network. However I need to have detailed log files for this script such as time backup started, what was backed up, if there were any errors and the time that the backup was complete. I would also like the script to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valicon
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding deleted files

One of the files got deleted and i want to find who deleted that file. I think we can get the list using history command. Could you please let me know how to get the list of rm commands from history and who previously logged in and did that? Any other suggestions other than history also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deleted all files - rm *

Hi All, I am using Fedora Core and Windows Xp. I deleted all the files from root directory. When i am trying to restart the computer it showing some grub > prompt. What i will do ? I have lots of data in XP OS. Please help me i used # rm * (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Recover Deleted Files

Hi, By mistake, executed the following command : rm -rf * and ALL files got deleted. But I need to get back these files as they are very very important. Please help me how to recover this file. Its Urgent for me please. Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
6 Replies

5. Linux

Need help with deleted files

Hello. I am having a problem and I was wondering if I could get some help from here. I changed into a directory with the cd command and I wanted to delete a folder and all of its subdirectories, so I went ahead and did a rm --recursive * in my current directory to realize that I was in the wrong... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnydadesigner
3 Replies

6. AIX

Who deleted my files

Just looking for some guidance on how to figure out who might have deleted some files off one of my systems. These files are not root owned files so could be deleted by a handful of folks in the group responsible for these files besides the root users. Anyway I have been tasked with trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juredd1
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BackUp Home/Creating User from File

Hi! I want to test something to learn Shell scripting better. 1) How can I make a BackUp from all users and groups homedirectory? I want to save that backup in an archiv. Can I choose how to name the backUp archiv? 2) Ok I want to make a file like csv, in this file are listed Users.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CommanderLinux
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a backup of UNIX--Need help

My company has a client that has mostly windows machines but has 1 Unix machine(still trying to find out what version..Solaris, AIX, etc) and they want me to do a full backup of this Unix machine and store it on one of their windows servers. Is there a not too difficult way of doing this? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanbl
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Need help in creating script for disk mirror and backup

Hi, I am very new to scripting. I need to create a script which does following. Scenario: First get the format command output echo | format Insert the new disk to Solaris Server Get Zpool status format the new disk ( Here I need to select the new disk which have been inserted, I do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveensharma21
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed for creating the folder by checking today's date and, take backup using rsync command

How to create a shell script to create a folder by using the today's date to take backup using rsync command on every evening around 7 pm. Kindly help. Thanks. To be more precise, I want to create a script which matches the today's date with server's date format, if matches then creates the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakula10
2 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)