Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo is returning empty
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo is returning empty Post 302384464 by pepeli30 on Tuesday 5th of January 2010 11:39:35 AM
Old 01-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by srimitta
OS - AIX 6.1

I am have below entry in my .profile
DS_LIB=/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin
export DS_BIN

When I do echo $DS_BIN, echo is returning empty
$ echo $DS_BIN
$

I never had this kind of issue earlier, please help me.

Thanks
srimitta
it not would be: export DS_LIB ---> echo $DS_LIB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning value from sqlplus

Hi, I need to return one value from sqlplus to UNIX environment. Can anyone give me an example? i.e. select username from v$session where sid=15; This query will return username value which I require in UNIX after exiting from sqlplus. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning a "0" if folder is empty

Hi All, I am trying to force a "0" value if a folder is empty. Is there any unix command i can make use of to force a "0" (zero) ? i tried to use " grep -c * " but the error is " no match " (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find empty folders without using -empty

hi all: my solaris FIND does not support find myFolder -type d -empty how can i find the empty folders? thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lasse
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this line: if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi

I want to print "empty" if $TEST is empty. TEST= if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi But it doesn't work. What's wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo message when file is empty.

If a file is empty then it must print the message "no data found" eg: if then echo "no data found" your help is really appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning to menu

i have my script all setup but what i was wanting to know is, after a choice has been made on the menu and it completes, what command can i type in to return to the menu of the script. with my script, when a command is finished, it just asks me to input my choice but it doesn't show the menu. any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hotshot247
3 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)