Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Array with String Elements
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Array with String Elements Post 302384320 by Scrutinizer on Monday 4th of January 2010 09:52:20 PM
Old 01-04-2010
Code:
set -A strings '"foo bar"' '"boo far"'

Code:
strings=("\"foo bar\"" "\"boo far\"")

Code:
strings=("\"$(some cmd)\"" "\"boo far\"")

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-04-2010 at 11:00 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To return the elements of array

Hi, Please can someone help to return the array elements from a function. Currently the problem I face is that tempValue stores the value in myValue as a string while I need an array of values to be returned instead of string. Many Thanks, Sudhakar the function called is: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search array elements as file for a matching string

I would like to find a list of files in a directory less than 2 days old and put them into an array variable. And then search for each file in the array for a matching string say "Return-code= 0". If it matches, then display the array element with a message as "OK". Your help will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkbaral
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing array elements

Hi, My doubt is how to access array elements.. Situation is as below: #!/bin/ksh set -x typeset -i x=0 typeset -i y=0 typeset -i BID=0 typeset -i count=0 while ] ; do x=`expr $x + 1`; hwmgr show scsi > scsi.tmp while read line; do set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansa
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing array elements

Is there a way to print multiple array elements without iterating through the array using bash? Can you do something like... echo ${array}and get all those separate elements from the array? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing elements from an array

Hi I have two arrays : @arcb= (450,625,720,645); @arca=(625,645); I need to remove the elements of @arca from elements of @arcb so that the content of @arcb will be (450,720). Can anyone sugget me how to perform this operation? The code I have used is this : my @arcb=... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping array elements - possible?

I have a script which takes backup of some configuration files on my server. It does that by using an array which contains the complete path to the files to backup. It copys the files to a pre defined dir. Each "program" has it's own folder, ex. apache.conf is being copied to /predefined... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnn
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplication of array elements

Hi, I can't find out how to create correct code to get multiplication of each elements of array. Let's say I enter array into command line (2 3 4 5 6 8) and i need output 2*3*4*5*6*8=5760. I tried this one, but answer is 0. for i in $@; do mult=$((mult*i))done echo "mult: " $mult ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimasbimas
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random elements from array

Hi I wanted to print random elements from an array at bash shell I use the following code, but I always see first element getting printed #!/bin/bash c=1 expressions=(pink red white yellow purple) while ]; do echo "The value of RANDOM is $RANDOM" selectedexpression=${expressions}]};... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reading the array and sum of the array elements

Hi All, need help with reading the array and sum of the array elements. given an array of integers of size N . You need to print the sum of the elements in the array, keeping in mind that some of those integers may be quite large. Input Format The first line of the input consists of an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishantrefound
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get unique elements from Array

I have an array code and output is below: echo $1 while read -r fline; do echo "%%%%%%$fline%%%%%" fmy_array+=("$fline") done <<< "$1" Output: CR30903 YU0007 SRIL CR30903 Yogesh SRIL %%%%%%CR30903 YU0007 SRIL%%%%% %%%%%%CR30903 Yogesh SRIL%%%%% ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
PREG_MATCH_ALL(3)							 1							 PREG_MATCH_ALL(3)

preg_match_all - Perform a global regular expression match

SYNOPSIS
int preg_match_all PREG_PATTERN_ORDER (string $pattern, string $subject, [array &$matches], [int $flags], [int $offset]) DESCRIPTION
Searches $subject for all matches to the regular expression given in $pattern and puts them in $matches in the order specified by $flags. After the first match is found, the subsequent searches are continued on from end of the last match. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for, as a string. o $subject - The input string. o $matches - Array of all matches in multi-dimensional array ordered according to $flags. o $flags - Can be a combination of the following flags (note that it doesn't make sense to use PREG_PATTERN_ORDER together with PREG_SET_ORDER): o PREG_PATTERN_ORDER - Orders results so that $matches[0] is an array of full pattern matches, $matches[1] is an array of strings matched by the first parenthesized subpattern, and so on. <?php preg_match_all("|<[^>]+>(.*)</[^>]+>|U", "<b>example: </b><div align=left>this is a test</div>", $out, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER); echo $out[0][0] . ", " . $out[0][1] . " "; echo $out[1][0] . ", " . $out[1][1] . " "; ?> The above example will output: <b>example: </b>, <div align=left>this is a test</div> example: , this is a test So, $out[0] contains array of strings that matched full pattern, and $out[1] contains array of strings enclosed by tags. o PREG_SET_ORDER - Orders results so that $matches[0] is an array of first set of matches, $matches[1] is an array of second set of matches, and so on. <?php preg_match_all("|<[^>]+>(.*)</[^>]+>|U", "<b>example: </b><div align="left">this is a test</div>", $out, PREG_SET_ORDER); echo $out[0][0] . ", " . $out[0][1] . " "; echo $out[1][0] . ", " . $out[1][1] . " "; ?> The above example will output: <b>example: </b>, example: <div align="left">this is a test</div>, this is a test o PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE - If this flag is passed, for every occurring match the appendant string offset will also be returned. Note that this changes the value of $matches into an array where every element is an array consisting of the matched string at offset 0 and its string offset into $subject at offset 1. If no order flag is given, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER is assumed. o $offset - Normally, the search starts from the beginning of the subject string. The optional parameter $offset can be used to specify the alternate place from which to start the search (in bytes). Note Using $offset is not equivalent to passing substr($subject, $offset) to preg_match_all(3) in place of the subject string, because $pattern can contain assertions such as ^, $ or (?<=x). See preg_match(3) for examples. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of full pattern matches (which might be zero), or FALSE if an error occurred. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | The $matches parameter became optional. | | | | | 5.3.6 | | | | | | | Returns FALSE if $offset is higher than $subject | | | length. | | | | | 5.2.2 | | | | | | | Named subpatterns now accept the syntax | | | (?<name>) and (?'name') as well as (?P<name>). | | | Previous versions accepted only (?P<name>). | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Getting all phone numbers out of some text. <?php preg_match_all("/(? (d{3})? )? (?(1) [-s] ) d{3}-d{4}/x", "Call 555-1212 or 1-800-555-1212", $phones); ?> Example #2 Find matching HTML tags (greedy) <?php // The \2 is an example of backreferencing. This tells pcre that // it must match the second set of parentheses in the regular expression // itself, which would be the ([w]+) in this case. The extra backslash is // required because the string is in double quotes. $html = "<b>bold text</b><a href=howdy.html>click me</a>"; preg_match_all("/(<([w]+)[^>]*>)(.*?)(</\2>)/", $html, $matches, PREG_SET_ORDER); foreach ($matches as $val) { echo "matched: " . $val[0] . " "; echo "part 1: " . $val[1] . " "; echo "part 2: " . $val[2] . " "; echo "part 3: " . $val[3] . " "; echo "part 4: " . $val[4] . " "; } ?> The above example will output: matched: <b>bold text</b> part 1: <b> part 2: b part 3: bold text part 4: </b> matched: <a href=howdy.html>click me</a> part 1: <a href=howdy.html> part 2: a part 3: click me part 4: </a> Example #3 Using named subpattern <?php $str = <<<FOO a: 1 b: 2 c: 3 FOO; preg_match_all('/(?P<name>w+): (?P<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); /* This also works in PHP 5.2.2 (PCRE 7.0) and later, however * the above form is recommended for backwards compatibility */ // preg_match_all('/(?<name>w+): (?<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); print_r($matches); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => a: 1 [1] => b: 2 [2] => c: 3 ) [name] => Array ( [0] => a [1] => b [2] => c ) [1] => Array ( [0] => a [1] => b [2] => c ) [digit] => Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 [2] => 3 ) [2] => Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 [2] => 3 ) ) SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_match(3), preg_replace(3), preg_split(3), preg_last_error(3). PHP Documentation Group PREG_MATCH_ALL(3)