Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH variable containing piped commands Post 302383915 by prashant.ladha on Saturday 2nd of January 2010 02:44:03 AM
Old 01-02-2010
KSH variable containing piped commands

Hi,
I am trying to execute a bunch of piped command which are stored in a variable, but only one command executed at a time, and rest of the pipes, commands and their arguments are considered as argument to the very first command.
Can you please help me in this?

Code:
bash-2.05$ cat test.sh
#!/usr/bin/ksh
xyz="ls -lrt | wc -l"
echo $($xyz)
bash-2.05$ ./test.sh
|: No such file or directory
wc: No such file or directory
-l: No such file or directory

bash-2.05$

-- Prashant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh GUI commands

I have a few scripts that i would like to make into GUI's. Are there scripting commands to make GUI's if so where can i get the list of commands and what they do or if anyone has an example of it. Anything will help, thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daltonkf
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh substring commands

I am trying to get various portions of strings in my script, but am getting a substitution error. I followed the syntax that was described when I goggled this, but I can't get anything to work. #! /bin/ksh/ hello="adklafk;afak" #hello=${hello:3} hello=${$hello:3} happy="hey" echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anderssl
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Better KSH commands

Are there any documents available for checking the execution time taken by ksh commands? My requirement is to fine tune a set of shell scripts having lot of "echos" and "date"s. Is there a better replacement for the below code?. echo "ABC process started on `date`" some code.. echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineer
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling commands with ksh

Hi, I am not able to run below command on linux, it however works on solaris. If anyone knows the reason and a solution for it can you please let me know ? Linux ----- $> ksh 'echo hi' ksh: echo hi: No such file or directory $> which ksh /usr/bin/ksh Solaris ------ $> ksh 'echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnaux
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple piped commands in a find -exec statement?

I can't get this to work. Running a single command works fine: find . -name "*.dat" -exec wc -l '{}' \; gives me the file name and number of lines in each .dat file in the directory. But what if I want to pipe commands, e.g. to grep something and get the number of lines with that pattern... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble executing piped shell commands in perl code

I am trying to execute a piped combination of shell commands inside a perl program. However, it is not working as desired. This is my program, i am trying to print only filenames from the output of ls -l $ cat list_test #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; my $count=0; my @list=`ls -l|awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh with Oracle commands

works fine. echo "Deleting CHOPOne Coreaccess from LAUA..." $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password@servername << ! delete from usergrpdtl where username='acker'; commit; ! but not working with "if statement" even $TMPDIR/adlogin.log exists and greater than 0. if then ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use cut output as variable piped awk command

Hi, I would like use the output of my cut command as a variable in my following awk command. Here's what I've written. cut -f1 info.txt | awk -v i=xargs -F'' '{if($6 == $i) print $20}' summary.txt Where obviously the 'xargs' doesn't do what I want. How can I pass my cut result to my awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyooo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable unexpectedly blank after piped loop

Hi, I was trying out a new way to parse multiple lines from a variable. I liked the "while read" method, so I used echo to pipe the variable into the while loop, the basic structure looking like: echo $var | while read nextline do a=blah done echo $a # it is empty! I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajhlinuxuser
8 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)