Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How to delete specific pattern in a file with SED? Post 302383654 by thundermandan21 on Wednesday 30th of December 2009 01:46:50 PM
Old 12-30-2009
Using the same example as above, is there a way to just simply delete the date field only, and not the whole line from the existing file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to delete exactly match pattern and print them in other file

Hi there, I need help about using sed. Iam using sed to delete and print lines that match the port number as listed in sedfile. I am using -d and -p command for delete match port and print them respectively. However, the output is not synchonize where the total deleted lines is not similar with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_buddy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete pattern skipping first n lines of file.

I have files of more than 10K lines that I need to delete lines that contain a pattern, but I want to keep the first few lines intact. Can this be done with sed? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkg
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed/perl command to delete specific pattern and content above it...

Hi, Below is my input file: Data: 1 Length: 20 Got result. Data: 2 Length: 30 No result. Data: 3 Length: 20 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edge_diners
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete lines from a file which starts with a specific pattern

I need to delete those lines from a file, which starts with 45. How to do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy, then delete lines in file with sed using a pattern

I need to copy lines to a new file from files with sed using a pattern in char postions 1-3. Then after the copy, I need to delete those same lines from the input files. For example, string "ABC" in pos 1-3 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laksjfhoius9123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern to delete lines containing a pattern, except the first occurance

Hello sed gurus. I am using ksh on Sun and have a file created by concatenating several other files. All files contain header rows. I just need to keep the first occurrence and remove all other header rows. header for file 1111 2222 3333 header for file 1111 2222 3333 header for file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete multiple lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, just tried some script, awk, sed for the last 2 hours and now need help. Let's say I have a huge file of 800,000 lines like this : It's a tedious job to look through it, I'd like to remove those useless lines in it as there's a few thousands : Or to be even more precise : if line1 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zurd
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed delete a line from csv file based on specific data in two separate fields

Hello, :wall: I have a 12 column csv file. I wish to delete the entire line if column 7 = hello and column 12 = goodbye. I have tried everything that I can find in all of my ref books. I know this does not work /^*,*,*,*,*,*,"hello",*,*,*,*,"goodbye"/d Any ideas? Thanks Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete a pattern in a file

Hi Everyone, I have an unusual requirement. Here is where i am stuck for sometime now... I have this text file.. lets say .. output.sql... it has lot of entries... here below is part of the entry... .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that contain a pattern from specific line to the end.

Gents, I am trying to delete all lines which start with "H" character, but keeping the fist header. Example In the input file I will delete all lines starting from line 8 which contents character "H" to the end of the file. I try sed '8,10000{/^H/d;}' file But as don't know the end... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiam912
1 Replies
ANNO(1) 							     [nmh-1.5]								   ANNO(1)

NAME
anno - annotate messages SYNOPSIS
anno [+folder] [msgs] [-component field] [-inplace | -noinplace] [-date | -nodate] [-draft] [-append] [-list] [-delete] [-number [num|all]] [-preserve | -nopreserve] [-version] [-help] [-text body] DESCRIPTION
Anno manipulates header fields or annotations in messages. Header fields consist of a field name and an optional field body as defined by RFC-2822. The -component option specifies the field name, and the -text option specifies the field body. The messages are either the msgs in the named folder, or the draft if invoked with the -draft option. Usually, annotation is performed by the commands dist, forw, and repl, if they are given the -anno switch. This allows you to keep track of your distribution of, forwarding of, and replies to a message. By using anno, you can perform arbitrary annotations of your own. Each message selected will be annotated with the lines field: date field: body The -nodate switch inhibits the date annotation, leaving only the body annotation. By default, anno prepends the annotations to the message. Annotations are instead appended if the -append option is specified. If a -component field is not specified when anno is invoked, anno will prompt the user for the name of field for the annotation. The field specified must be a valid 2822-style message field name, which means that it may only consist of alphanumerics and dashes, The body specified is arbitrary text. Normally anno does the annotation inplace in order to preserve any links to the message. You may change this by using the -noinplace switch. The -list option produces a listing of the field bodies for header fields with names matching the specified component, one per line. The listing is numbered, starting at 1, if the -number option is also used. A tab character separates the number and the field body. The field body is treated as if it is a file name, and only the final path name component is listed. The complete field body is listed if the -text option is used, the contents of the text are ignored. The -delete option removes header fields from messages. The first header field whose name matches the component is deleted if no other options are specified. If the -text option is used in conjunction with the -delete option, the first header field whose name matches the component and whose body matches the text is deleted. The text is treated as if it was a file name; if it begins with a slash, the entire field body must match the text, otherwise just the last path name component of the field body must match. If the -number option is used in conjuction with the -delete option, header field num whose name matches the component is deleted. The number matches that which is pro- duced by the -list option. The special value all can be used for the number, and causes all components that match the name to be deleted. By default, anno changes the last-accessed and last-modified times on annotate messages to the time at which the annotation occurs. Anno preserves the original times if the -preserve option is used. A matching -nopreserve option exists that allows time preservation to be turned off if enabled in the profile. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
dist(1), forw(1), repl(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-inplace' `-date' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. The first message annotated will become the current message. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 ANNO(1)