Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to extract lines from a file to different file Post 302383547 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 30th of December 2009 06:37:02 AM
Old 12-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie23
HI rdcwayx,

I have errors when
Code:

/^<r>/{v[++k,j]=$0}

and
Code:
{printf "%s\n%s\n",tp[m],v[o,m] >fn }

Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract specific lines from file

hi, how would i extract a range of lines in a file by using the line number? ex: file contains: 1 title 2 i want 3 this part 4 to be taken out 5 from this file 6 and sent to 7 another file 8 not needed 9 end of file In this case, i want to copy line number 2 to 7 on a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract a range of lines from a file

I am reading a file that contains over 5000 lines and I want to assign it to a shell variable array (which has a restriction of 1024 rows). I had an idea that if I could grab 1000 record hunks of the file, and pipe the records out, that I could perform a loop until I got to the end and process 1000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to extract few lines from a file and put it in another file

Hi all, I have a file which contains comments,dotted lines(-------),actual records etc.I need to fetch only the actual records and put into a new file neglecting/deleting other rows.I have a header record too which contains the column names for the actual records.i need to discard this too.how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract the required lines from a file

I have a files in a directory in this format data data data ---BEGIN CERT----- data data data ---END CERT ----- Now, I want to extract the lines starting from --BEGIN CERT-- and write the contents till the end of file into a new file.How can I do this for all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific lines from a file

Hi, I have a file which contains DDL statements- CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX, ALTER TABLE etc. I have to only pick CREATE TABLE statements from the file- Source : ---------------------------------------------- --DDL for table abc -------------------------------------------- CREATE TABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newb
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi, i have two files. file1.sh echo "unix" echo "linux" file2.sh echo "unix linux forums" now the output i need is $./file2.sh unix linux forums (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract particular lines from a file

Hi all, I have a file with many records with information as given below ID A16L2_HUMAN Reviewed; 619 AA. AC Q8NAA4; A5PL30; B2RPK5; Q658V4; Q6PID3; Q8NBG0; DT 20-MAY-2008, integrated into UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot. DT 20-MAY-2008, sequence version 2. DT ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaav06
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract certain lines from a file?

Hi guys I have a several thousands line file in the following format: n817 -------------------------------------------------- n842 -------------------------------------------------- n877 -------------------------------------------------- n513 /bb/data/rmt2db.lrl:JBSKDB 31915 75... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines from a file

Hi all; Here is my file which contains a list of files (recent versions of files are in red). This file is dynamic, files versions can change at any time (versions can increment) filename ------------------------------------------------------- ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract lines that have entries in VI file

Dears experts i have UNIX file that contain 4 million lines , i need to extract all lines that have entiries saved in VI file , i have below comand but it takes tooooo long time : for i in `cat file1.csv`; do cat dump | grep -i $i >> file2.csv; done where : file1.csv = VI file that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: is2_egypt
12 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)