Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Can Mutex be replaced with anything? Post 302383087 by fpmurphy on Monday 28th of December 2009 09:55:52 AM
Old 12-28-2009
Interlocked variables/operations are mostly a Microsoft win32 thing. Because some architectures capable of running Linux do not have the necessary hardware support, interlocked variables/operations are not available in Linux user space. They are available only in the kernel and only on some architectures.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Threads and Mutex

Hi all, I am working in a UNIX/C environment. I would like to understand more about MUTEX and Threads. Can someone explain me these concepts and how they are related. Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vthasan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mutex

Can anyone explain me what mutexes are in multithreading environment? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mutex in shell programing

A shell in crontab per 5 min write a file B shell in crontab per 6 min read a file how to lock the share file a ;avioid confilict in write and read? Thx : -) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zz_xm
1 Replies

4. Programming

How to handle mutex lock?

Hi, I have two tasks 'Read' and 'Write' which reads and writes on a file "abc.txt" respectively. Now I need to restrict the Write operation on the file while Read is going on, But can allow two Reads at a time. ie. two Reads can happen simultaneously, but Write can't happen at Read is going on. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshalle
3 Replies

5. Programming

difference between Mutex and semaphores

Hi, can someone explain me the difference between mutex and semaphores? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is diff b/w semaphore and mutex

can u tell me what is the exact difference b/w mutex and semaphore and what is the diff b/w counting semaphore and binary semaphore amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mutex in Perl

Hello Everyone, I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I would like to know how can I impliment basic read/write locks in perl. I have a database (file) which can be accessed simultaneously but has to be locked while writing. If there is no such support in perl, my next... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superuser84
6 Replies

8. Programming

Mutex will not work

I am trying to use mutex in my multi-tread project, but they don't seem to work. I have created a simple demonstration of the problem. This is NOT how I would use a mutex, only a demonstration of the problem: #include <stdio.h> #include <pthread.h> int main() { int val; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChrisWilliams
3 Replies

9. Programming

Mutex lock question

Hi all, I have a scenario where I need to use the mutex locks. The mutex locks are working fine, but sometimes I am getting into the dead lock situation. Below is the summary of my code : MUTEX LOCK performTask(); MUTEX UNLOCK. In some cases I get into the situation where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
2 Replies

10. Programming

pthread and mutex question

Hello, I have got some issue with the struct variable with passed arguments the variable in the sturct is only recognize the last value their assigned to I'm pretty confused why the mutex didn't work out here is my program: #include<stdio.h> #include<pthread.h> pthread_mutex_t lock... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael23
3 Replies
xparace(3)							SAORD Documentation							xparace(3)

NAME
XPARace - XPA Race Conditions SYNOPSIS
Potential XPA race conditions and how to avoid them. DESCRIPTION
Currently, there is only one known circumstance in which XPA can get (temporarily) deadlocked in a race condition: if two or more XPA servers send messages to one another using an XPA client routine such as XPASet(), they can deadlock while each waits for the other server to respond. (This can happen if the servers call XPAPoll() with a time limit, and send messages in between the polling call.) The reason this happens is that both client routines send a string to the other server to establish the handshake and then wait for the server response. Since each client is waiting for a response, neither is able to enter its event-handling loop and respond to the other's request. This deadlock will continue until one of the timeout periods expire, at which point an error condition will be triggered and the timed-out server will return to its event loop. Starting with version 2.1.6, this rare race condition can be avoided by setting the XPA_IOCALLSXPA environment variable for servers that will make client calls. Setting this variable causes all XPA socket IO calls to process outstanding XPA requests whenever the primary socket is not ready for IO. This means that a server making a client call will (recursively) process incoming server requests while waiting for client completion. It also means that a server callback routine can handle incoming XPA messages if it makes its own XPA call. The semi-public routine oldvalue=XPAIOCallsXPA(newvalue) can be used to turn this behavior off and on temporarily. Passing a 0 will turn off IO processing, 1 will turn it back on. The old value is returned by the call. By default, the XPA_IOCALLSXPA option is turned off, because we judge that the added code complication and overhead involved will not be justified by the amount of its use. Moreover, processing XPA requests within socket IO can lead to non-intuitive results, since incoming server requests will not necessarily be processed to completion in the order in which they are received. Aside from setting XPA_IOCALLSXPA, the simplest way to avoid this race condition is to multi-process: when you want to send a client mes- sage, simply start a separate process to call the client routine, so that the server is not stopped. It probably is fastest and easiest to use fork() and then have the child call the client routine and exit. But you also can use either the system() or popen() routine to start one of the command line programs and do the same thing. Alternatively, you can use XPA's internal launch() routine instead of system(). Based on fork() and exec(), this routine is more secure than system() because it does not call /bin/sh. Starting with version 2.1.5, you also can send an XPAInfo() message with the mode string "ack=false". This will cause the client to send a message to the server and then exit without waiting for any return message from the server. This UDP-like behavior will avoid the server deadlock when sending short XPAInfo messages. SEE ALSO
See xpa(7) for a list of XPA help pages version 2.1.14 June 7, 2012 xparace(3)