Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File name suffix with a running number Post 302383050 by Franklin52 on Monday 28th of December 2009 06:47:26 AM
Old 12-28-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishna.saran
Hi all,

i have a shell script invoking a pl/sql proc which then, generates a file in a format
DATA-26-12-2009.txt. The shell script is configured as a cron job to run once a day.

If i need to run the script more than once, i need to suffix the generated file with a two digit running number like DATA-26-12-2009-01.txt.

I need to know how to keep a two digit number and increment it, like 01, 02, 03,...09,10 ..etc.

Pls suggest a simple way to do this.

Thanks
You can try something like this:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

file="DATA-"$(date "+%d-%m-%Y-")
n=1
ext=".txt"
ls ${file}* | while read i
do
  fn=$(printf "%02d" n)
  if [ ${file}${n}${ext} = ${i} ]
  then
    n=$(( $n + 1 ))
  fi
done

fn=$(printf "%02d" n)
echo "New file:" ${file}${n}${ext}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to limit the number of running instances of a script?

I would like to allow only one instance of a script to run at any moment. I've tried the following solution to count the instances but the result is always the number of running instances plus one and I can't find the problem ps -ef | grep $0 | sed '/^$/ d' | sed '/grep/ d' | wc -l Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oti
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine Number of Processes Running

I am pretty new to unix, and I have a project to do. Part of the project asks me to determine the number of processes running and assign it to a variable. I know how to every part of the project but determine the number of processes running. How can I get just the number of processes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayne1411
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Number of threads running

Is there any command to find 1) the number of threads running 2) kernel boot mode in solaris box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep a certain number of background processes running

I've got a bit of code I'm trying to work on... What i want to happen is ... at all times have four parallel mysql dump and imports running. I found the follow code snippet on the forum and modified it to work by starting four concurrent processes but it waits until all four are done before... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgob123
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Control Number of Processes Running

Hi Is there a way to count how many processes a script has started, count how many of these have finished, and make the script wait if their difference goes over a given threshold? I am using a script to repeatedly execute a code (~100x) which converts 2 data files into one .plt which is in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbones
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding which is Running number

Hi All, I have a list of data in the listing file and I run row by row to process the record, but how to identify what is the current process line number ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I find the number of processes running on root?

Is there a certain man command I'm missing here? I searched in ps but I couldn't find something that would give me the number of processes running on root. I only want to see the number of processes, not the processes itself. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l3monz
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lftp sftp get - script renames the local file with suffix tilde

Hi, Below script used for sftp get, #/bin/bash USER=xxx PASS=xxx HOST=xxx REMOTE_FILE=$1 LOCAL_FILE_LOC=$2 cd $LOCAL_FILE_LOC lftp sftp://$USER:$PASS@$HOST:10022 -e "get $REMOTE_FILE; bye" If file does not exist in sftp server, and file (same as remote file name) exists in local dir,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhegde1011
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Prefix/Suffix on same file

Hi, I want to add prefix and suffix on line# 205 using SED or AWK and want to change on the same file without creating new file. This command will be used in the bash script Am using Bash shell Regards Nayaj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayaj
3 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)