Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script with rsh gets stty invalid message Post 302382850 by slchin on Saturday 26th of December 2009 11:11:42 AM
Old 12-26-2009
Perl script with rsh gets stty invalid message

I have a Perl script, that does a system call with rsh to a remote machine.

#!/usr/bin/env perl
system ("rsh remote-machine echo 99");

And I get the following:

stty: standard input: Invalid argument

I've tried replacing the system call with below, but I still get the same stty message.
system ("rsh remote-machine -l myusername echo 99");
I've also tried addin single quotes around the rsh command, i.e. 'echo 99', but it didn't get rid of the stty message.

What does the "stty: standard input: Invalid argument" message mean, & how I get rid of it?

PS. I've tried searching past posts, & there was one in 2002, but it didn't help me.

---------- Post updated at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:50 AM ----------

I just found the answer in an earlier post:

Deleted the following line in my .cshrc:
stty erase ^H

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stty: : Invalid argument

Hello Everyone; I have a script that is throwing the following message: stty: : Invalid argument The line that gives the message is the following, sailormoon$ scp home/voice.xml newwave@silvermoon:/newwave/config/radius stty: : Invalid argument voice.xml | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stty erase in a script

does anyone know how to incorporate this in a script so users can actually make use of their backspace button that they've grown accustomed to? stty erase ^H --- this isn't working the script. works on command line but i wanna invoke it whenever this program of mine is run so users can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
2 Replies

3. Solaris

invalid getconf output and Perl compile

I was compiling perl on a Solaris 10 server. The compile failed because the output of getconf is wrong (it indicates xarch is generic64 not v9. This is a known bug but I cannot find a fix. I wrote a script as suggested that changes it but when you run getconf again it goes back to generic64. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh in Perl

How can I use the rsh command in perl? I need to rsh to a machine, change directory and run a C program there. I have something like this: $USER="username"; $MY_DIR="\t\home\" $MY_SCRIPT="./get_statistics.out" system "sudo rsh", $USER, "cd", $MY_DIR, "; sudo", $MYSCRIPT; which obviously... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: looza
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

stty error when script is called out of a cronjob

Hello, I'm trying to implement a script to call a third-party tool every so often and write the results to a file. If I run it interactively it works fine, but when it comes to run it out of a cronjob, I keep getting this error: stty: tcgetattr: a specified file does not support the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabiogilr
3 Replies

6. Programming

Error message: invalid types 'bool...' (array problem)

Hello everyone. I'm stuck with an error message that neither I nor any of my computer science peeps can understand. The program I wrote is meant to be a simple decimal to binary converter, but with this message it's more complicated than I thought. Here's the code: #include <iostream>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qf_woodfox
2 Replies

7. Programming

Error message: invalid types 'bool...' (array problem)

Hello everyone. I'm stuck with an error message that neither I nor any of my computer science peeps can understand. The program I wrote is meant to be a simple decimal to binary converter, but with this message it's more complicated than I thought. Here's the code: #include <iostream>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qf_woodfox
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl and rsh

Hi guys In perl how can i rsh into the machine ($a) as the user who is currently login into that machine then run this commnad x11vnc -create keeping that alive but back on the origrianl ($b) machine run vncviewer $a i want to give it the machine to rsh/vncv into on the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec perl in expect script yields "invalid command"

I'm trying to execute something like this: exec perl -i -pe 's/\015/\012/g' '${file}' in my expect script and I get: error "invalid command name \"perl\". however, if I run perl -i -pe 's/\015/\012/g' "/Users/Shared/menu-items.txt" directly in my terminal, it runs fine. I'm an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpouliot
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of stty vs trap in script-driven login menu

My employers would like me to selectively run one of several different (already-existing) Korn Shell menu-driven scripts out of the user's .profile file, depending on some yet-to-be-specified user critieria. I've never done this kind of thing, but I have the existing scripts (among other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
5 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-Kdnx] [-k realm] [-l username] host [command] DESCRIPTION
Rsh executes command on host. Rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally termi- nates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -K The -K option turns off all Kerberos authentication. -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. The -l option allows the remote name to be specified. Kerberos authentication is used, and authorization is determined as in rlogin(1). -n The -n option redirects input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), kerberos(3), krb_sendauth(3), krb_realmofhost(3) HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)