Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: kde, startx on debian
Operating Systems Linux Debian kde, startx on debian Post 302382822 by gaurav1086 on Saturday 26th of December 2009 03:12:55 AM
Old 12-26-2009
Hello,
if /etc/init.d/gdm start works for you
THEN
check file /etc/inittab.
This file lets you specify the runlevel that you want to boot in.
mine is id:2:initdefault:
the gdm (gnome desktop) runs in this runlevel
In /etc/rc2.d/
you should have a file S30gdm . Notice the "S". It shouldnt be S.
ELSE
you need to install kde/gnome .
Code:
apt-get install gnome 
apt-get install kde

and then have a file
~/xinitrc
there add
Code:
exec startkde #for kde at startup 
exec gnome #for gnome at startup

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

error startx with debian

hello i have installed xfree86 with debian 2.4, but i have the message when i launch startx: XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining. xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "uxdev1000.lobino.fr:0"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

KDE and startx

Hello, Ive installed freeBSD 6.0 - and the prompt part of the system works well. Ive then tried to install KDE for graphic interface to the unix system. The problem is: Whenever I run "$ startx" it starts some graphical interface, but its totally swirled, you can sense that in the background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: congo
1 Replies

3. Debian

Debian Stable + KDE

Hello, Unix - Forums. How can I set the DE to KDE on a fresh, netinst image of Debian Stable? By default, it installs GNOME. Is there a way to change that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intelinside
1 Replies
gnome-keyboard-layout(1)					   User Commands					  gnome-keyboard-layout(1)

NAME
gnome-keyboard-layout - set your keyboard layout SYNOPSIS
gnome-keyboard-layout [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
gnome-keyboard-layout enables you to select a locale mapping for your keyboard. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching gnome-keyboard-layout example% gnome-keyboard-layout ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-keyboard-Executable to set your keyboard layout ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-utility_applets | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gkb_xmmap(1), gnome-keybinding-properties(1), gnome-keyboard-properties(1), xmodmap(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Matt Keenan, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnome-keyboard-layout(1)