Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: kde, startx on debian
Operating Systems Linux Debian kde, startx on debian Post 302382822 by gaurav1086 on Saturday 26th of December 2009 03:12:55 AM
Old 12-26-2009
Hello,
if /etc/init.d/gdm start works for you
THEN
check file /etc/inittab.
This file lets you specify the runlevel that you want to boot in.
mine is id:2:initdefault:
the gdm (gnome desktop) runs in this runlevel
In /etc/rc2.d/
you should have a file S30gdm . Notice the "S". It shouldnt be S.
ELSE
you need to install kde/gnome .
Code:
apt-get install gnome 
apt-get install kde

and then have a file
~/xinitrc
there add
Code:
exec startkde #for kde at startup 
exec gnome #for gnome at startup

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

error startx with debian

hello i have installed xfree86 with debian 2.4, but i have the message when i launch startx: XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining. xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "uxdev1000.lobino.fr:0"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

KDE and startx

Hello, Ive installed freeBSD 6.0 - and the prompt part of the system works well. Ive then tried to install KDE for graphic interface to the unix system. The problem is: Whenever I run "$ startx" it starts some graphical interface, but its totally swirled, you can sense that in the background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: congo
1 Replies

3. Debian

Debian Stable + KDE

Hello, Unix - Forums. How can I set the DE to KDE on a fresh, netinst image of Debian Stable? By default, it installs GNOME. Is there a way to change that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intelinside
1 Replies
KCOOKIEJAR4(8)							 KDE User's Manual						    KCOOKIEJAR4(8)

NAME
kcookiejar4 - KDE HTTP cookie daemon SYNOPSIS
kcookiejar4 [--help] [Generic-options] [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [--shutdown] [--remove domain] [--remove-all] [--reload-config] DESCRIPTION
kcookiejar4 handles the HTTP cookies providing a D-BUS service to store/retrieve/clean cookies. GENERIC OPTIONS
--author Show author information. --help Show help about options. --help-all Show all options. --help-kde Show KDE specific options. --help-qt Show Qt specific options. --license Show license information. -v--version Show version information APPLICATION OPTIONS
--shutdown Shut down cookie jar and the D-BUS service. --remove domain Removes cookies for domain from the cookie jar. --remove-all Removes all the cookies from the cookie jar. --reaload-config Reloads the configuration file. USAGE
KDE web browser konqueror uses kcookiejar4 for storing and managing cookies using the D-Bus service kcookiejar4 provides. When kcookiejar4 is started without parameters, it provides a D-BUS service to handle HTTP cookies. When kcookiejar4 is started with some parameters, it does additional tasks to the cookies jar it provides, like removing the cookies from one domain. SEE ALSO
kdeoptions(7), qtoptions(7) BUGS
There are probably tons of bugs. Use bugs.kde.org[1] to report them. AUTHORS
Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org> Author. Dawit Alemayehu <adawit@kde.org> Author. NOTES
1. bugs.kde.org http://bugs.kde.org 0.01.01 2008-10-14 KCOOKIEJAR4(8)