Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Relatively simple question regarding find and cmin Post 302382821 by DeCoTwc on Saturday 26th of December 2009 02:51:42 AM
Old 12-26-2009
Well crap...

Thanks man. The only thing worse than the amount of effort I put into that is how simple the solution was.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question

I am taking an intro to unix class and I can not figure out how to do part of the question. I am writing script to be exictued by a program in the tutoral. Question: Write every line containing the word ``delete'' produced by ``man mail'' into a file called ``delete''. Hint: What does using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weathergirl
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

3. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -cmin or fin -newer

I am running SUSE/8 and SUSE/9 on a high end server (4 CPU, 8G RAM etc) I have a huge directory structure with over 4million files in it. I have find the files that are modified (created, modified, renamed etc etc) in the last 10 minutes periodically. I have tried "find -cmin -10" and "find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxxyyyy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question

I had a script in solaris wich i read data, for example: Number 1: _ and the cursor use to be in '_' place because in the code of the script i write: echo "Number 1:\c" but i copy the script to a linux and the cursor 'jump' to the begining of the next line like: Number 1:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
2 Replies

6. Solaris

AIX to SOLARIS conversion - (find -cmin option)

I have a piece of code (below) in a .ksh script running on AIX. I need to convert the code to run .zsh on Solaris. Solaris's find command does not support the -cmin function. Suggestions?? The code searchs for a file (_filename) and determines if it has been written to or modified in the last... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if then else question

I am having trouble making this statement work. I am passing in a number value for the number of days to keep archive logs for and wanted to make sure that it is a number. I have a script that will return 1 for is a number and 0 for is not a number. I also want to make sure that the number is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find mmin, mtime, cmin not working

Dear All, We are having the script which is creating the folder on another server if it is not present using ssh. Using scp it copies copy all pdf files from local folder to server folder. After all copy is done, Just to verify i was using the below find command find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any alternative for mmin or cmin parameter

Hi, I need to write a shell script where I need to check whether log file is generated in last 1 hour or not. But I am getting below error in using mmin or cmin parameter with find command: find: bad option -mmin find: bad option -cmin So my concern is that any alternative for mmin option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankit Srivastav
5 Replies
log(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    log(8)

NAME
log - Records input and output from a program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/log <logfile> <command> OPERANDS
The file in which to record the interaction being logged. The command to execute. DESCRIPTION
The log program runs <command> and logs the input to and output from <command> to the <logfile> file. Input and output are logged until <command> exits, the log program exits, and the exit status of <command> is returned. The log program is used by the system installation procedure and the it(8) command to create the /var/adm/smlogs/install.log and /var/adm/smlogs/it.log installation log files. RESTRICTIONS
Because the log program is used in the installation standalone environment, program size was the greatest concern in its implementation. The log program does not search for the PATH variable to locate <command> and error messages are terse. The log program causes <command> to take standard input from and write standard output and standard error to UNIX pipes. Some commands will not be able to operate in this environment; therefore, it is suggested that you use the script(1) command instead. UNIX shells will not issue prompts when run from log unless the shell is started with an explicit interactive switch (-i for most shells). For example, log foo.tmp /sbin/sh -i In the previous example, foo.tmp is the name of <logfile>. The log program intercepts end-of-file (usually Ctrl/d). Therefore programs which normally receive end-of-file as an exit command must exit by some other means. ERRORS
Log open error Explanation: The log program was unable to open <logfile>. Verify that the directory exists and that ownerships and permissions are set correctly. Exec Error Explanation: The log program was unable to execute <command>. Verify that you specified a full pathname for <command> and that <command> is an exe- cutable file. Fork Error Explanation: The log program was unable to create one of the processes it requires to log data. SEE ALSO
Commands: it(8), script(1) log(8)