Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting from archive | compressing to new archive Post 302381774 by pludi on Sunday 20th of December 2009 02:44:22 PM
Old 12-20-2009
Well, with -O you'd have lost the permissions anyways, as those can only be bound to a file, not to a stream. So IMO your best chance would be to extract the 2 files, move them to a machine you administer, and then create a new archive from them after you've corrected the permissions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Q: tar archive help

hey how do you create a archive and add file to an existing archive. i keep getting an error: dir/#: No such file or directory currently using tar -cvfu name.tar files files searching from a word document each line having different file extention. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nookie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar archive file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

overhead in the archive

Hi everyone, I am currently trying to work out the size overhead in the library archive. The total size of all my objects file is about 100KB. However, when I package them into the archive (libXX.a), the size gets boosted up to 200KB. I want to know what exact is that 100KB overhead. I tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jasoncrab
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

RCS archive in /etc

Well it is not a bad idea. I have worked for one place that did that. It wasn't my idea but I did not object. The reason it is done is to put critical files like nsswitch.conf, hosts, and so on under RCS control. Previous versions are then available to see how stuff changed over the years. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read specific file from a zip archive without extracting

Hi All, I would like to extract specific file from a zip archive. I have a zip archive "sample.zip". sample.zip contains few text files and images... text1.txt, text2.txt, pic.jpg etc... I need to read specific file "text2.txt" from "sample.zip" WITHOUT EXTRACTING the zip file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridharg
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive Files

I have 15-20 files in a unix folder on daily basis, so i need to archive those 20 files as dated today and place that archived files in a new folder and has to remove those 20 files from that folder. so that i place 20 new files that comes for tomorrow. i need write a unix script to do this. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaddamshashank
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating and extracting archive file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi there, I wish to create a single .tar file of the current directory but have literally no idea on where to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banned
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Self extracting archive for Linux and windows

Is there a way to create a self extracting archive that works in both linux and windows? And if so how? Everything I have read on google only works in either Linux or Windows but not both. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cpio archive help

Hi I'm new to the forum and looking for some help with cpio archive creation. I have a bunch of directories that I need to make into a cpio archive. The problem I'm having is that when I input the commands I get the cpio archive but it creates a duplicate of the archive inside the archive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reeves1985
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies
STRMODE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> void strmode(mode_t mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing nul byte. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file a regular file in archive state 1 A regular file in archive state 2 b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character is a plus sign ``+'' if there are any alternative or additional access control methods associated with the inode, other- wise it will be a space. Archive state 1 and archive state 2 represent file system dependent archive state for a file. Most file systems do not retain file archive state, and so will not report files in either archive state. msdosfs will report a file in archive state 1 if it has been archived more recently than modified. Hierarchical storage systems may have multiple archive states for a file and may define archive states 1 and 2 as appropriate. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
July 28, 1994 BSD