Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirect output into the middle of a file Post 302381512 by joeyg on Friday 18th of December 2009 01:05:45 PM
Old 12-18-2009
Tools if you know where to break the file

Code:
head -2 file1 ; cat file2 ; tail -2 file1

or, to send to a file
Code:
head -2 file1 >outfile ; cat file2 >>outfile ; tail -2 file1 >>outfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output to file?

Hi: I am currently working on a program which requires direct its ouput to a file here is an example ./proram arg_1 arg_2 when program ends all output will be arg_2 file Is that possible I am not a bad programmer, However I am stuck there. Can anyone give a hint? Thanks SW (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slackware
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to a file

Ahhhrrrggg I'm having a brain fart... I want to take the output of a command and redirect it to a file... This works.... $ man cp | cat >> copy_help but this doesn't keytool -help |cat >> keytool_help It just produces... these lines... more keytool_help ] ... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending to sed output of one file into the middle of file

hi, i have a file file1 file2 ----------- ----------------- aa bbb ccc 111 1111 1111 ddd eee fff 222 3333 4444 ggg hhh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: go4desperado
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect grep output into file !!!!!

Hi, I am writing the following code in command prompt it is working fine. grep ',222,' SAPPCO_20080306.CSV_old > SAPPCO_20080306.CSV_new But the command is not working in the Shell Script... ########################################## #!/bin/sh #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect output to a file name

Hi all!! is possible to assign the output of some command to filename, i.e. grep_output.txt Otherwise, I want to open a new file which name is inside another, how can I do it? Thanks a lot! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of ls to a file?

Hi All, I want to redirect only the file names to a new file from the ls -ltr directroy. how Can i do it. my ls -ltr output will be as below. -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 event.podl -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 xyz.podl I want my new file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect the output in a file and on screen

I am trying to get following result from the scipt I have. First time it generates the o/p in correct format. However if I run it again it appends to the existing file. I would like to see o/p on screen as well as save it in file. Everytime it should create new file. ## I/P file 0174 0175... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Redirect Topas output to a file

Hi, I want to know how to redirect the output of topas -P to a file in a readable format. I tried doing it by using topas -P > topas.txt but the output is not properly aligned and when I opened it using vi it ahd some characters. Please help me out in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Preetha
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies
cat(1)								   User Commands							    cat(1)

NAME
cat - concatenate and display files SYNOPSIS
cat [-nbsuvet] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus: example% cat file prints file on your terminal, and: example% cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates file1 and file2, and writes the results in file3. If no input file is given, cat reads from the standard input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Precede each line output with its line number. -b Number the lines, as -n, but omit the line numbers from blank lines. -u The output is not buffered. (The default is buffered output.) -s cat is silent about non-existent files. -v Non-printing characters (with the exception of tabs, new-lines and form-feeds) are printed visibly. ASCII control characters (octal 000 - 037) are printed as ^n, where n is the corresponding ASCII character in the range octal 100 - 137 (@, A, B, C, . . ., X, Y, Z, [, , ], ^, and _); the DEL character (octal 0177) is printed ^?. Other non-printable characters are printed as M-x, where x is the ASCII character specified by the low-order seven bits. When used with the -v option, the following options may be used: -e A $ character will be printed at the end of each line (prior to the new-line). -t Tabs will be printed as ^I's and formfeeds to be printed as ^L's. The -e and -t options are ignored if the -v option is not specified. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file is specified, the standard input is used. If file is `-', cat will read from the standard input at that point in the sequence. cat will not close and reopen standard input when it is referenced in this way, but will accept multiple occurrences of `-' as file. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cat when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Concatenating a file The following command: example% cat myfile writes the contents of the file myfile to standard output. Example 2: Concatenating two files into one The following command: example% cat doc1 doc2 > doc.all concatenates the files doc1 and doc2 and writes the result to doc.all. Example 3: Concatenating two arbitrary pieces of input with a single invocation The command: example% cat start - middle - end > file when standard input is a terminal, gets two arbitrary pieces of input from the terminal with a single invocation of cat. Note, however, that if standard input is a regular file, this would be equivalent to the command: cat start - middle /dev/null end > file because the entire contents of the file would be consumed by cat the first time `-' was used as a file operand and an end-of-file condition would be detected immediately when `-' was referenced the second time. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cat: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
touch(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) NOTES
Redirecting the output of cat onto one of the files being read will cause the loss of the data originally in the file being read. For exam- ple, example% cat filename1 filename2 >filename1 causes the original data in filename1 to be lost. SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 cat(1)