Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirect output into the middle of a file Post 302381510 by quirkasaurus on Friday 18th of December 2009 01:01:01 PM
Old 12-18-2009
well, if you know exactly where you want to insert stuff into the 2nd file,
and the files aren't too large:

Code:
vi +/pqr file_nm << EOF
:r other_file_nm^M
:wq^M
EOF

Where the ^M is entered using vi with CONTROL-V, ENTER

Redirect the output to /dev/null, if you don't want to see it work.

Another way might be:

Code:
(
sed -n '1,/pqr/p' file_nm
cat other_file_nm
sed -n '/stu/,$p' file_nm
) > file_nm.mangled

Then rename the mangled file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output to file?

Hi: I am currently working on a program which requires direct its ouput to a file here is an example ./proram arg_1 arg_2 when program ends all output will be arg_2 file Is that possible I am not a bad programmer, However I am stuck there. Can anyone give a hint? Thanks SW (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slackware
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to a file

Ahhhrrrggg I'm having a brain fart... I want to take the output of a command and redirect it to a file... This works.... $ man cp | cat >> copy_help but this doesn't keytool -help |cat >> keytool_help It just produces... these lines... more keytool_help ] ... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending to sed output of one file into the middle of file

hi, i have a file file1 file2 ----------- ----------------- aa bbb ccc 111 1111 1111 ddd eee fff 222 3333 4444 ggg hhh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: go4desperado
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect grep output into file !!!!!

Hi, I am writing the following code in command prompt it is working fine. grep ',222,' SAPPCO_20080306.CSV_old > SAPPCO_20080306.CSV_new But the command is not working in the Shell Script... ########################################## #!/bin/sh #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect output to a file name

Hi all!! is possible to assign the output of some command to filename, i.e. grep_output.txt Otherwise, I want to open a new file which name is inside another, how can I do it? Thanks a lot! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of ls to a file?

Hi All, I want to redirect only the file names to a new file from the ls -ltr directroy. how Can i do it. my ls -ltr output will be as below. -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 event.podl -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 xyz.podl I want my new file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect the output in a file and on screen

I am trying to get following result from the scipt I have. First time it generates the o/p in correct format. However if I run it again it appends to the existing file. I would like to see o/p on screen as well as save it in file. Everytime it should create new file. ## I/P file 0174 0175... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Redirect Topas output to a file

Hi, I want to know how to redirect the output of topas -P to a file in a readable format. I tried doing it by using topas -P > topas.txt but the output is not properly aligned and when I opened it using vi it ahd some characters. Please help me out in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Preetha
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies
Char(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Char(3)

NAME
PDL::Char -- PDL subclass which allows reading and writing of fixed-length character strings as byte PDLs SYNOPSIS
use PDL; use PDL::Char; my $pchar = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $pchar->setstr(1,0,'foo'); print $pchar; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'foo' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] print $pchar->atstr(2,0); # Prints: # ghi DESCRIPTION
This subclass of PDL allows one to manipulate PDLs of 'byte' type as if they were made of fixed length strings, not just numbers. This type of behavior is useful when you want to work with charactar grids. The indexing is done on a string level and not a character level for the 'setstr' and 'atstr' commands. This module is in particular useful for writing NetCDF files that include character data using the PDL::NetCDF module. FUNCTIONS
new Function to create a byte PDL from a string, list of strings, list of list of strings, etc. # create a new PDL::Char from a perl array of strings $strpdl = PDL::Char->new( ['abc', 'def', 'ghij'] ); # Convert a PDL of type 'byte' to a PDL::Char $strpdl1 = PDL::Char->new (sequence (byte, 4, 5)+99); $pdlchar3d = PDL::Char->new([['abc','def','ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']]); string Function to print a character PDL (created by 'char') in a pretty format. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] # 'string' is overloaded to the "" operator, so: # print $char; # should have the same effect. setstr Function to set one string value in a character PDL. The input position is the position of the string, not a character in the string. The first dimension is assumed to be the length of the string. The input string will be null-padded if the string is shorter than the first dimension of the PDL. It will be truncated if it is longer. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $char->setstr(0,1, 'foobar'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] $char->setstr(2,1, 'f'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'f'] -> note that this 'f' is stored "f" # ] atstr Function to fetch one string value from a PDL::Char type PDL, given a position within the PDL. The input position of the string, not a character in the string. The length of the input string is the implied first dimension. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char->atstr(0,1); # Prints: # jkl perl v5.12.1 2009-10-17 Char(3)