Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirect output into the middle of a file Post 302381508 by glev2005 on Friday 18th of December 2009 12:54:15 PM
Old 12-18-2009
redirect output into the middle of a file

If I want to cat one file and have the output inserted into a specific place on another file, how is this done? I know how to append >> and to overwrite > but say I have a file with:

File1:
abc
def
ghi
jkl

And a File with:

File2:
mno
pqr
stu
vwx

And I want to place the contents of file one between the pqr and stu lines of file 2, how do i do it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output to file?

Hi: I am currently working on a program which requires direct its ouput to a file here is an example ./proram arg_1 arg_2 when program ends all output will be arg_2 file Is that possible I am not a bad programmer, However I am stuck there. Can anyone give a hint? Thanks SW (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slackware
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to a file

Ahhhrrrggg I'm having a brain fart... I want to take the output of a command and redirect it to a file... This works.... $ man cp | cat >> copy_help but this doesn't keytool -help |cat >> keytool_help It just produces... these lines... more keytool_help ] ... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending to sed output of one file into the middle of file

hi, i have a file file1 file2 ----------- ----------------- aa bbb ccc 111 1111 1111 ddd eee fff 222 3333 4444 ggg hhh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: go4desperado
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect grep output into file !!!!!

Hi, I am writing the following code in command prompt it is working fine. grep ',222,' SAPPCO_20080306.CSV_old > SAPPCO_20080306.CSV_new But the command is not working in the Shell Script... ########################################## #!/bin/sh #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect output to a file name

Hi all!! is possible to assign the output of some command to filename, i.e. grep_output.txt Otherwise, I want to open a new file which name is inside another, how can I do it? Thanks a lot! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of ls to a file?

Hi All, I want to redirect only the file names to a new file from the ls -ltr directroy. how Can i do it. my ls -ltr output will be as below. -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 event.podl -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 xyz.podl I want my new file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect the output in a file and on screen

I am trying to get following result from the scipt I have. First time it generates the o/p in correct format. However if I run it again it appends to the existing file. I would like to see o/p on screen as well as save it in file. Everytime it should create new file. ## I/P file 0174 0175... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Redirect Topas output to a file

Hi, I want to know how to redirect the output of topas -P to a file in a readable format. I tried doing it by using topas -P > topas.txt but the output is not properly aligned and when I opened it using vi it ahd some characters. Please help me out in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Preetha
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies
fopen(3s)																 fopen(3s)

Name
       fopen, freopen, fdopen - open a stream

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

FILE *fopen (filename, type)
       char *filename, *type;

FILE *freopen (filename, type, stream)
       char *filename, *type;
       FILE *stream;

FILE *fdopen (fildes, type)
       int fildes;
       char *type;

Description
       The  routine opens the file named by filename and associates a stream with it.  The routine returns a pointer to the FILE structure associ-
       ated with the stream.

The filename points to a character string that contains the name of the file to be opened.

The type is a character string having one of the following values:

"r"	    Open for reading

"w"	    Truncate or create for writing

"a"	    Append; open for writing at end of file, or create for writing

"A"	    Append with no overwrite; open for writing at end-of-file, or create for writing

"r+"	    Open for reading and writing

"w+"	    Truncate or create for reading and writing

"a+"	    Append; open or create for reading and writing at end-of-file

"A+"	    Append with no overwrite, open or create for update at end-of-file

The letter "b" can also follow r, w, or a. In some C implementations, the "b" is needed to indicate a  binary  file,  however,  it  is  not
       needed in ULTRIX.  If "+" is used, the "b" may occur on either side, as in "rb+" or "w+b".

The  routine  substitutes  the named file in place of the open stream.  The original stream is closed, regardless of whether the open ulti-
       mately succeeds.  The routine returns a pointer to the FILE structure associated with stream.

The routine is typically used to attach the preopened streams associated with stdin, stdout and stderr to other files.

The routine associates a stream with a file descriptor.	File descriptors are obtained from or which open files but do not return  pointers
       to  a  FILE structure stream.  Streams are necessary input for many of the Section 3s library routines.	The type of stream must agree with
       the mode of the open file.

When a file is opened for update, both input and output may be done on the resulting stream.  However, output may not be directly  followed
       by  input  without  an  intervening  or and input may not be directly followed by output without an intervening or an input operation which
       encounters end-of-file.

When a file is opened for append with no overwrite (that is when type is "A" or "A+"), it is impossible to overwrite information already in
       the  file.  The routine may be used to reposition the file pointer to any position in the file, but when output is written to the file, the
       current file pointer is disregarded.  All output is written at the end of the file and causes the file pointer to be  repositioned  at  the
       end  of	the  output.   If  two separate processes open the same file for append, each process may write freely to the file without fear of
       destroying output being written by the other.  The output from the two processes will be intermixed in the file in the order in which it is
       written.

Return Values
       The and routines return a NULL pointer on failure.

Environment
   SYSTEM_V
       When  your  program is compiled using the System V environment, append with no overwrite is specified by using the "a" or "a+" type string,
       and the "A" and "A+" type strings are not allowed.

POSIX
       In the POSIX environment, the "a" and "a+" strings, and the "A" and "A+" strings specify append with no overwrite.

See Also
       creat(2), dup(2), open(2), pipe(2), fclose(3s), fseek(3s).

fopen(3s)