Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Lots of logs to move....don't remove if open Post 302381177 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of December 2009 10:20:07 AM
Old 12-17-2009
Call lsof once, save its output, and check its output for the files you want. You could also craft a fixed list of files to avoid. Or simply send the services that refuse to give up their log files a signal to reopen them after.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find one partucular user logs when there are lots of users running on it

On my application there are lots of users are doing there work or tasks? ...In my SSH or in 'Putty' i am observing logs? Hot to observe one particular 'user' logs.. even through there are lots of users working on it? For EX: i am log in with use rid:nikhil@in.com. another one log in with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksr.test
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to move logs

Does anyone have a good script to move log files from a cron? There are a lot of logs, about 100 or more and they are constantly being written too. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files based on Pattern don't work

Hi people, i need you help on this if you can. I have a script that does the move command when it searches for a that doesn't match the pattern. This Pattern is on a list. When it run's and doesn´t found no files but it haves 2 more folders it moves the folders too. Ex:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osramos
1 Replies

4. Programming

problem with lots of open sockets

I'm programming in C with lots of sockets, (asynchronous handling), and for a while it goes ok, but after a while it starts to hang, or not get complete connections anymore. checking my router, i see that i get nat tables overflow and even my DNS cacher seems to be having serious issues... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien999999999
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Open Terminal Don't work

Hi, I installed solaris 10 x86 on my local system. it was working fine. today when i started the system, it started up without any problem. when i tried to open the terminal it didn't open any terminal. Plz help me (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove words from file2 that don't exist in file1

Hi I have to list of words file1 and file2, I want to compare both lists and remove from file2 all the words that don't exist in file1. How can I do this? Many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noliveira
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if a file is open and in use (logs are being written to it)

Hello Experts, I need to write a shell script to check if a file is open and something is being written to it. I want to know how OS handles it. I checked with lsof command but it is not working. For a test I did this. while true; do echo `date` >>abc.txt; done then I checked lsof |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove answers and explanation parts from a text file with lots of questions.?

Hi, I have a text file with thousands of questions in it. Each question (multiple lines) with multiple choice options, Answer and Explanation (optional). I need to delete Answer & explanation parts for all Questions and insert a blank line before net question. Each question starts with NO. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies
checkrestart(1) 						  debian-goodies						   checkrestart(1)

NAME
checkrestart - check which processes need to be restarted after an upgrade SYNOPSIS
checkrestart [ -hvpa ] [ -b blacklist_file ] [ -i package_name ] DESCRIPTION
The checkrestart program tries to determine if there are processes in the system that need to be restarted after a system upgrade. This is necessary since an upgrade will usually bring new system libraries and running processes will be still using the old versions of the libraries. In stable Debian GNU/Linux systems this is typically needed to eliminate a system exposure to a vulnerability which might have been fixed by upgrading a library which that process makes use of. Consequently, checkrestart is sometimes used as an audit tool to find outdated versions of libraries in use, particularly after security upgrades. Administrators should not, however, rely on its output completely (see BUGS below). This script needs to run as root in order to obtain the information it needs for analysis. OPTIONS
-h,--help Show the program help and exit. -v,--verbose Generate detailed output. This output includes the list of all processes found using deleted files or descriptors as well as the deleted files and descriptors found. -p,--package Only process deleted files that belong to a package, ignoring deleted files which do not have an associated package in the package system. -a,--all Process all deleted files regardless of location. This makes the program analyse deleted files even if they would be discarded because they are located in locations, such as /tmp , which are known to produce false positives. It will take preceded if used simultaneously with the -p option. -b file,--blacklist=file Read a blacklist of regular expressions from file. Any files matching the patterns will be ignored. -i name,--ignore=name Ignore services that are associated to the package name provided in name. EXIT STATUS
The program will exit with error (1) if a non-root user tries to run it. Otherwise, it will always exit with error status 0. BUGS
This program might fail if the output of the lsof utility changes since it depends on it to detect which deleted files are used by pro- cesses. It might also output some false positives depending on the processes' behaviour since it does not check yet if the (deleted) files in use are really libraries. If you find a false positive in checkrestart please provide the following information when submitting a bug report: -- The output of checkrestart using the -v (verbose) option. -- The output of running the following command as root: lsof | egrep 'delete|DEL|path inode' Checkrestart is also sensitive to the kernel version in use. And might fail to work with newer (or older) versions. A rewrite to make it less dependent on lsof could improve this, however. SEE ALSO
lsof(8) AUTHOR
checkrestart was written by Matt Zimmerman for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. COPYRIGHT AND LICENCE
Copyright (C) 2001 Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> Copyright (C) 2007,2010-2011 Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfs@debian.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. On Debian systems, a copy of the GNU General Public License may be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. debian-goodies December 19 2006 checkrestart(1)