Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XML data extract
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting XML data extract Post 302381060 by nthed on Thursday 17th of December 2009 05:08:26 AM
Old 12-17-2009
XML data extract

Hi all,

I have the following xml document :

Code:

<HEADER><El1>asdf</El1> <El2>3</El2> <El3>asad</El3> <El4>asasdf</El4> <El5>asdf</El5> <El6>asdf</El6> <El7>asdf</El7> <El8>A</El8> <El9>0</El9> <El10>75291028141917</El10> <El11>asdf</El11> <El12>sdf</El12> <El13>er</El13> <El14><El15>asdf </El15></El14> <El16><El17>asdf</El17> <El18>My type to print</El18> <El19>Another value with spaces</El19> </El16> </HEADER>

The elements are seperated with a space. I would like to print each element in a seperate row , but if i do the following , the values of elements that have spaces are printed in seperate lines. For example

echo above_xml | awk '{ for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) print $i }'

Code:

<HEADER><El1>asdf</El1>
<El2>3</El2>
<El3>asad</El3>
<El4>asasdf</El4>
<El5>asdf</El5>
<El6>asdf</El6>
<El7>asdf</El7>
<El8>A</El8>
<El9>0</El9>
<El10>75291028141917</El10>
<El11>asdf</El11>
<El12>sdf</El12>
<El13>er</El13>
<El14><El15>asdf</El15></El14>
<El16><El17>asdf</El17>
<El18>My
type
to
print</El18>
<El19>Another
value
with
spaces</El19>
</El16>
</HEADER>

The desirable output would be the same but in el18 and el19
Code:
<El18>My type to print</El18>
<El19>Another value with spaces</El19>

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data from xml- shell script using awk

Hi, This is the xml file that i have. - <front-servlet platform="WAS4.0" request-retriever="SiteMinder-aware" configuration-rescan-interval="60000"> <concurrency-throttle maximum-concurrency="50" redirect-page="/jsp/defaulterror.jsp" /> - <loggers> <instrumentation... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishana
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific data from xml format file.

Hi, I need to extract the start time value (bold, red font) under the '<LogEvent ID="Timer Start">' tag (black bold) from a file with the following pattern. There are other LogEventIDs listed in the file as well, making it harder for me to extract out the specific start time that I need. . .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 60doses
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script to extract data from XML file

Hello Scripting Gurus, I need help with extracting data from the XML file using shell script. The data is in a large XML and I need to extract the id values of all completedworkflows. Here is a sample of it. Input and output data is also in the attached text files. <wfregistry>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajaykumar
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script for extract data from xml files

Hi All, Prepare a perl script for extracting data from xml file. The xml data look like as AC StartTime="1227858839" ID="88" ETime="1227858837" DSTFlag="false" Type="2" Duration="303" /> <AS StartTime="1227858849" SigPairs="119 40 98 15 100 32 128 18 131 23 70 39 123 20 120 27 100 17 136 12... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract xml data

Hi all, I have the following xml file : <xmlhead><xmlelement1>element1value</xmlelement1>\0a<xmlelement2>jjasd</xmlelement2>...</xmlhead> As you can see there are no lines or spaces seperating the elements, just the character \0a. How can i find and print the values of a specific element?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nthed
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data Extract from XML Log File

Please help me out to extract the Data from the XML Log files. So here is the data ERROR|2010-08-26 00:05:52,958|SERIAL_ID=128279996|ST=2010-08-2600:05:52|DEVICE=113.2.21.12:601|TYPE=TransactionLog... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from XML file

Hi , I have input file as XML. following are input data #complex.xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <TEST_doc xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <ENTRY uid="123456"> <protein> <name>PROT001</name> <organism>Human</organism> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan sharma
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from xml file using shell scripting?

Hi evry1, This is my 1st post in this forum.Pls help me I want to extract some data froma xml file which has 2000 lines using shell scripting. Actually my xml file has some "audio and video codes" which i need to arrange in a column wise format after extracting it using shell scripting.I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_kohan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from XML file using shell scripting?

Hi , I have input file as XML. following are input data #complex.xml Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><TEST_doc xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <ENTRY uid="123456"> <protein> <name>PROT001</name> <organism>Human</organism> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun_kohan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Data from XML file.

Hi Guys, I am in a need to extract data from a xml file. The XML file format is as below. <data jsxnamespace="propsbundle" locales=""> <locale> <!--Error messages starts--> <record jsxid="CHARPAIR001" jsxtext=" must be selected"></record> <record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Showdown
1 Replies
XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)

NAME
XML::Smart::Tutorial - Tutorial and examples for XML::Smart. SYNOPSIS
This document is a tutorial for XML::Smart and shows some examples of usual things. Working with contents: In XML::Smart the key CONTENT is reserved and shouldn't be used directly, since XML::Smart will deal with the convertion of arguments to node contents, including multiple node contents autimatically. What happens when you set a value: $xml->{root}{foo} = 'simple value' ; Here foo will be a normal argument/attribute value, and will generate this XML data: <root foo="simple value"/> But if you insert some tag or lines in the values by default XML::Smart will convert it to a node content: $xml->{root}{foo} = "line0 lien1 line2 " ; And will generate that XML data: <root> <foo>line0 lien1 line2 </foo> </root> But what you can do if you want to force some type, let's say, have a node content with a simple value: $xml->{root}{foo} = 'simple value' ; $xml->{root}{foo}->set_node(1) ; And will generate that XML data: <root> <foo>simple value</foo> </root> Multiple contents: When you have interpolated content/data you need to work in a different. Let's say that you load this XML data: <root> content0 <tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> If you access directly the root key as string you will get all the content parts grouped. So, this code: my $xml = new XML::Smart(q` <root> content0 <tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> `,'smart') ; print "#$xml->{root}#" ; Will print that: # content0 content1 # To access each part of the content independently you should use an array that receive the method content(): my @content = $xml->{root}->content ; print "#$content[0]# " ; And this will print that: # content0 # Now to set the multiple content values you should use the method content() with 2 arguments: $xml->{root}->content(0,'new content') ; And now the XML data produced will be: <root>new content<tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> If you use the method content() with only one argument it will remove all the multiple contents and will set the new value in the place of the 1st content. Setting the XML Parser. By defaul XML::Smart will use XML::Parser or XML::Smart::Parser (in this order of preference) to load a XML data. To force or define by your self the parser you can use the 2nd argument option when creating a XML::Smart object: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Parser' ) ; ## and my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Smart::Parser' ) ; XML::Smart also has an extra parser, XML::Smart::HTMLParser, that can be used to load HTML as XML, or to load wild XML data: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Smart::HTMLParser' ) ; Aliases for the parser options: SMART|REGEXP => XML::Smart::Parser HTML => XML::Smart::HTMLParser So, you can use as: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'smart' ) ; my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'html' ) ; Customizing the Parser. You can customize the way that the parser will treat the XML data: Forcing nodes/tags and arguments/attributes to lowercase or upercase: ## For lower case: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , lowtag => 1 , lowarg => 1 , ) ; ## For uper case: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , upertag => 1 , uperarg => 1 , ) ; Loading arguments without values (flags) as a TRUE boolean: ** Note, this option will work only when the XML is parsed by XML::Smart::HTMLParser, since only it accept arguments without values! my $xml = new XML::Smart( '<root><foo arg1="" flag></root>' , 'XML::Smart::HTMLParser' , arg_single => 1 , ) ; Here's the tree of the example above: 'root' => { 'foo' => { 'flag' => 1, 'arg1' => '' }, }, Customizing the parse events: XML::Smart can redirect the parsing process to personalized functions: my $xml = XML::Smart->new( 'some.xml' , on_start => &on_start , on_char => &on_char , on_end => &on_end , ) ; sub on_start { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back ) = @_ ; $pointer->{$tag}{type_user} = 1 if $tag =~ /(?:name|age)/ ; } sub on_char { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back , $content) = @_ ; $$content =~ s/s+/ /gs ; } sub on_end { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back ) = @_ ; $pointer->{$tag}{type_extra} = 1 if $tag =~ /(?:more|tel|address)/ ; } AUTHOR
Graciliano M. P. <gm@virtuasites.com.br> I will appreciate any type of feedback (include your opinions and/or suggestions). ;-P Enjoy and thanks for who are enjoying this tool and have sent e-mails! ;-P ePod This document was written in ePod (easy-POD), than converted to POD, and from here you know the way. perl v5.10.1 2004-12-08 XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)