Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep only word matching the pattern Post 302380835 by poova on Wednesday 16th of December 2009 09:36:41 AM
Old 12-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo
Code:
gawk '
{
    for (o=1;o<=NF;o++){
        if ($o ~ /^ABC.*GET.LOG$/){
            print $o
        }
    }
}' file

I dont have gawk in my machine. awk and nawk are only there. pls suggest me an alternate way.

Thanks,
Poova

---------- Post updated at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by penchal_boddu
grep "ABC\.....\.....\..\.GET\.LOG" filename
This will give me the entire line. Just I want the word only.

Thanks,
Poova

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl pattern matching vs. grep

I originally had a shell script that did a grep 10 times to pull out the number of times a certain pattern occured in a file: ie... aOccurances=`grep aPattern file|wc -l` bOccurances=`grep bPattern file|wc -l` ... ... ... fOccurances=`grep fPattern file|wc -l` As the file got bigger with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: junkmail426
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a pattern in a file & prefixing a word

Hi, In my shell script i have to match a patten in a file , if found i have to prefix the entair line by a "word" eg. pattern = "aaa" prefix= #123 file: bbbb xxx zzzz aaaa qqqq kkkk outPut file: bbbb xxx ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the strings matching a pattern from a word

Hi All , I need to extract the strings that are matching with the pattern : CUST.<AnyStringOfAnyLength>.<AnyStringOfAnyLength> from a file and then write all these string into another file. e.g. If a file SOURCE contains following lines : IF(CUST.ABCD.EFGH==1) THEN CUST.ABCD.EFGH =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapnil.nawale
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep word between matched pattern

would like to print word between matched patterns using sed for example : create INDEX SCOTT.OR_PK ON table_name(....) would like to print between SCOTT. and ON which is OR_PK Please help me out Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding pattern matching used in a grep command

I have the following code. I want to remove the --sort=num/num/... and am using grep to exclude it as shown below: I have a bit of problem figuring out the use of - at the front echo "--sort=4/5/6" | grep -ivE '-((sort|group)=+/+(/+)*)$' Now suppose I want to remove --quiet I can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issues while pattern matching using grep

Hi, I have a file f1 wi the following data f1.txt ======== Report ID Report Name ----------------------------------------------------------------- Post Requests : 2 Post successes : 2 ============================================= I need to search for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RP09
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print few lines before and after matching word is found suing grep?

Hi, here are few lines present in the logs. I want to grep on Error and print few lines before and after Error word is found line1 Line2 Line3 Error Line4 Line5 Line6 Line7 I want the output to be Line2 Line3 Error Line5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghadeep adity
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script example to Grep matching word from file

Hi expert, Need help in shell script. a.txt file output is below i would like to grep 3 line and 1st column value which is admin\22226 only and not full line. i only know admin word as 22226 can come anything with admin\ in file. also after fetching it i would like to use this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuljeetpal
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)