Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with grep (reWriting it in another way.) Post 302380678 by kenshin88 on Wednesday 16th of December 2009 02:31:46 AM
Old 12-16-2009
Help with grep (reWriting it in another way.)

Hello everyone!! Nice do be apart of your forum. I am not very good at unix and thats why i need your help i have this project where i have to simulate a grep command without using grep thought. I have to simulate

Code:
grep [-n] <parameters> <file>
grep [-v] <parameters> <file>
grep [-y] <parameters> <file>
grep [-i] <parameters> <file>
grep [-w] <parameters> <file>
grep [-f file] <parameters> <file>

as a file i am using /etc/passwd

Moreover they will have to be able to use paremeters such as

re+
re?
re1|re2

where you find in an egrep.
i know the first 2 can be done with sed but i am not sure if the re+,re? and re1|re2 parameters work...

Please if someone clould help i would be gratefull.

Thanks a lot.

*ps forgot to mention the language we use in script writing is awk.

Last edited by Franklin52; 12-16-2009 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Squid Proxy URL rewriting

I have an architecture as below <> <> There is a program in the AIX server which sends SMS to the internet, by sending HTTP request to the SMS processing server. Like, http://smsserver/mysms=test However the application does not have an option to specify where the Proxy server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rewriting a word from location

I am using: ..to get the word that is being searched. What I am looking to do, is to rewrite the word and us it in css: Sort of like this javascript: Hopefully I am making myself clear. Any ideas how I could do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marringi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help rewriting my KSH-script...

Hi! I'm a beginner at scripting, but have managed to complete a working KSH-script.. :D But since this is going to production i a few weeks, I would like to optimize it and make it better structured! The idéa of the script is to collect data from the database, put it in a file, and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linsto
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rewriting standard output lines

Hello I'm curious about how to get a bash script to rewrite a line of standard output. For example, many programs track their progress by writing percentages on the screen: Precent Done: 60% That line gets updated periodically to reflect the status.. My question, is how do we do this, as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

postfix sender address rewriting

Hi, I have a postfix server that relays to an exchange server. All of my unix/linux systems send to this server, the problem is the form the mail is sent with, the sender address is username@hostname.domain.local I need to rewrite every sender address to unix@maildomain.com for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
0 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

sendmail recipient address rewriting with local_relay or mail_hub

I'm trying to make this work with a variety of different sendmail versions (all 8.8 or better) and different OS's. I have to configure all my unix workstations to deliver all email through a relay 'smtp.mydomain.com'. This includes unqualified names as well as qualified names and remote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: icefalcon
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rewriting line with tabs creating problem

Hi I have an input file which have random file in between.I have to manipulate each line and replace the character from position 5-10 with XXXXXX. But when I am writing this to on output file the tabs in between gets converted to normal space. Input file : 14207531131040896334R108 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Transparent Proxy with URL Rewriting

All traffic on the LAN is routed through a single machine and filtered using iptables. I'd like to redirect this traffic to a transparent proxy running on the same machine that will rewrite the URL if it matches a specified regex, in which case the user will be redirected to a local server. In... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crottyan
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rewriting GNU uniq in awk

Within a shell script I use uniq -w 16 -D in order to process all lines in which the first 16 characters are duplicated. Now I want to also run that script on a BSD based system where the included version of uniq does not support the -w (--check-chars) option. To get around this I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
7 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD