Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Group search (multiple data points) in Linux Post 302380491 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 15th of December 2009 10:00:59 AM
Old 12-15-2009
One way is to use grep -f file. Edit a new file to look like this, call it file.grep (name does not matter):
Code:
fgr-11 
fgr-34
fgr-1

Code:
grep -f file.grep  myinputfile >  newoutputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace string between 2 points

I have a file that contains the following string. connect odemgr/bank123@odsd I am liiking to write a scrupt that will change the par of the string between the "/" and the "@" anyhelp qwould be greatly appriciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whited05
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extarct data points

suppose u have a file which consist of many data points separated by asterisk Question is to extract third part in each line . 0.0002*0.003*-0.93939*0.0202*0.322*0.3332*0.2222*0.22020 0.003*0.3333*0.33322*-0.2220*0.3030*0.2222*0.3331*-0.3030 0.0393*0.3039*-0.03038*0.033*0.4033*0.30384*0.4048... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

recoding data points using SED??

Hello all, I have a data file that needs some serious work...I have no idea how to implement the changes that are needed! The file is a genotypic file with >64,000 columns representing genetic markers, a header line, and >1100 rows that looks like this: ID 1 2 3 4 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: doobedoo
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get data only inside polygon created by points which is part of whole data from file?

hiii, Help me out..i have a huge set of data stored in a file.This file has has 2 columns which is latitude & longitude of a region. Now i have a program which asks for the number of points & based on this number it asks the user to enter that latitude & longitude values which are in the same... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split, Search and Reformat by Data Group

Hi, I am writing just to share my appreciation for help I have received from this site in the past. In a previous post Split File by Data Group I received a lot of help with a troublesome awk script to reformat some complicated data blocks. What I learned really came in hand recently when I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkastin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding data value that contains x% of points

Hi, I need help on finding the value of my data that encompasses certain percentage of my total data points (n). Attached is an example of my data, n=30. What I want to do is for instance is find the minimum threshold that still encompasses 60% (n=18), 70% (n=21) and 80% (n=24). manually to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux - Calculations between multiple rows of data

Morning All, I am needing assistance with a calculation process, which performs calculations on a group of records. Here is a breakdown of my requirement: Col1 = Always same value. Col2 = Grouping Column, and will have the same value for 5/6/7 records for example. Col3 = Date Col4 =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichZR
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ranking data points from multiple files

I need to rank a large number of data points that exist in multiple files. My data points (Column 3) are based on unique values in columns 1 and 2. I need to rank the values that are in File 1, Column 3. For instance: Input File 1 AAA BBB 10 CCC DDD 16 EEE FFF 20 Input File 2 ... (47 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
47 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists

Hi, I am Searching for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists. the below is the format: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ID: FIRST ID MESSAGE: Event Message... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxuser999
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)