Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking ksh script syntax
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking ksh script syntax Post 302380490 by proactiveaditya on Tuesday 15th of December 2009 10:00:05 AM
Old 12-15-2009
Command substitution can also be nested using backtick.

Last edited by proactiveaditya; 12-21-2009 at 01:47 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script syntax checking

Is it possible to check the script syntax with some sort of command...? Without running the script . I'm using Sun Solaris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjornrud
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

.sh file syntax checking script

This isn't a question--its a solution! Below is a script that I wrote for my own script file development which does what the title says. Its the closest that you can get to compiling what are otherwise purely interpreted script files. I offer it here simply for the benefit of anyone else writing... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Checking if string has 2 characters and does not contain digits?

How could I check if a string variable contains at least (or only) 2 characters, and check and make sure that the string does not contain any numeric digits?...I need to know how to do this as simple as possible. and I am using the Ksh shell. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh Checking if variable has 5 digits

How could I check if a numeric variable has 5 digits in KSH...I have a zipcode variable that I know will always be 5 digits, and I want to print out an error if it is less or more than 5 digits the problem is that I have it as: if ] but this won't work because the statement doesn't see 0001 as... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

KSH Checking Previous Date**

How would I go about getting the previous date on the server? I'm out of ideas...I am thinking that I could do it using the date command, but I am unable to find any information on doing it. For example if the current date is April 17th 2008 it would be (20080417) <- (YYYYMMDD). I need the previous... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking variable has value - ksh

hi all, i have a shell (ksh) script where i am reading line by line from a grep command and i wanted to check if the grep command actually returned something or was null. i can do this by using -z : if ; then ..... but this forces me to do something when $myVariable is null when i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh-script "arithmetic syntax error" comparing strings

Hi all, Iīve already searched the forum but canīt find what i am doing wrong. I am trying to compare two variables using ksh under red hat. The error I get is: -ksh: .: MDA=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_after_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 ` MDB=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_before_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking LB status.. stuck in script syntax of code

#!/bin/ksh #This script will check status of load balancer in AIX servers from hopbox #Steps to do as folows : #Login to server #netstat -ani | grep <IP> #check if the output contains either lo0 OR en0 #if the above condition matches, validation looks good #else, send an email with impacted... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinil
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking numeric expression in .ksh script

Gurus, Please need your help. I'm saving a filetimestamp into $filetimestamp and say....echo $filetimestamp gives 2015021612 I'm saving a cutoff_time into $cutoff_time say....echo $cutoff_time gives 2015021514 now my requirement is to check if $filetimestamp is greater than... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script - Syntax error `done' unexpected

Hello, I am working on my first ksh script to review daily reports. The script uses different functions to check different types of reports in csv format. A control file gets read in with information regarding the report, other info, and the function to use. When I run the script I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bot9196
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)