Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming MultiThreading using Pthreads Post 302380162 by Corona688 on Monday 14th of December 2009 11:53:01 AM
Old 12-14-2009
You almost certainly need synchronization somewhere inside ::Receive() to prevent race conditions -- two threads blindly overwriting the same variable, unaware of the other changing it while they were asleep -- but nothing prevents this except whatever synchronization you do yourself. How efficient this is under high load depends on how much waiting the threads have to do for each other to avoid race conditions. If Receive() does a lot of processing before actually altering or using the object members in any way, most of that could happen concurrently, but if all it does is update the object, almost nothing should happen concurrently, making the threads mostly pointless.

Polling isn't a good idea in either case though, given a better alternative: Have you tried select()? It can wait for activity on an entire set of file descriptors without polling. Once activity happens, you can hand the file descriptor it reports off to a thread for processing if advantageous, or just feed it to Receive() if not.

Last edited by Corona688; 12-14-2009 at 01:01 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PThreads

Can anyone explain me how to use pthread_key_create() , pthread_setspecific(), pthread_getspecific() and pthread_key_delete () routines in pthreads. Kindly state by an example. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
3 Replies

2. Programming

pthreads

Does any one no of some good web site which will explain about how to program using pthreads in a UNIX enviroment? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
6 Replies

3. Programming

pthreads

howcome that pthtreads spawn 2 extra processes? I'm kind of new with pthreads but fork() did not act like this. Anyone who can give me a technical explanation of what happends with mother / daughter processes? Best regards Esaia. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

4. Programming

PThreads

I have created a thread program, it is attached. My problem is that I need to loop this program multiple times, and basically reset everything including the threads created previously. I try to loop the program, the first run is fine, as always, but the second run of the program, the initialize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justgotthis
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

pthreads

Hi! I'm linking my hpux code using -lpthread (gcc), yet it references libpthread_tr.1, the debug version of the pthread lib. How do I force it to use pthreads? Thanks, :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zackz
3 Replies

6. Programming

multithreading on OSX

Hi all, I have a query about multithreading. What I would like to do is, at the start of my main update() function, start a couple of threads in parallel, once they are all complete carry on with my main update function. void update() { thread1->update(); // fluid solver ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: memoid
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multithreading in UNIX

Hi, Can you please give me a suitable reference to learn multithreading programming in C in UNIX? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multithreading program

Hi I need to insert 1million records into MySQL database, but it is taking lot of time as there is no bulk insert support. I want to spawn 10 processes which will insert 100k records each parallely. Can somebody help me with a example program to execute this task through shell scripting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sach_roger
5 Replies

9. Programming

Help with multithreading

I take this question of the The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and Unix System Programming page 652 exercise 30.1 I want someone to explain the under line statement because it sounds complex to me couldn't understand anything 30-1 Modify the program (thread_incr.c) so that each loop in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
3 Replies
thr_join(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      thr_join(3C)

NAME
thr_join - wait for thread termination SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <thread.h> int thr_join(thread_t thread, thread_t *departed, void **status); DESCRIPTION
The thr_join() function suspends processing of the calling thread until the target thread completes. The thread argument must be a member of the current process and cannot be a detached thread. See thr_create(3C). If two or more threads wait for the same thread to complete, all will suspend processing until the thread has terminated, and then one thread will return successfully and the others will return with an error of ESRCH. The thr_join() function will not block processing of the calling thread if the target thread has already terminated. If a thr_join() call returns successfully with a non-null status argument, the value passed to thr_exit(3C) by the terminating thread will be placed in the location referenced by status. If the target thread ID is 0, thr_join() finds and returns the status of a terminated undetached thread in the process. If no such thread exists, it suspends processing of the calling thread until a thread for which no other thread is waiting enters that state, at which time it returns successfully, or until all other threads in the process are either daemon threads or threads waiting in thr_join(), in which case it returns EDEADLK. See NOTES. If departed is not NULL, it points to a location that is set to the ID of the terminated thread if thr_join() returns successfully. RETURN VALUES
If successful, thr_join() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
EDEADLK A joining deadlock would occur, such as when a thread attempts to wait for itself, or the calling thread is waiting for any thread to exit and only daemon threads or waiting threads exist in the process. ESRCH No undetached thread could be found corresponding to the given thread ID. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
thr_create(3C), thr_exit(3C), wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
Using thr_join(3C) in the following syntax, while (thr_join(0, NULL, NULL) == 0); will wait for the termination of all non-daemon threads, excluding threads that are themselves waiting in thr_join(). SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 2000 thr_join(3C)