Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regexp to match all characters including "?" Post 302380147 by lycaon on Monday 14th of December 2009 11:16:24 AM
Old 12-14-2009
Regexp to match all characters including "?"

Hi everyone,

I'm almost tearing my hairs to find a valid regexp which will match EVERY character in a string, including the question mark!

Specifically I need to match a string which contains the word (example) "stringtobematched" at the end of it.

Everyone would suggest this:

^(.*)stringtobematched$

This obviously works, but it stops working if I introduce the question mark (?) character at any point before the matching pattern.

For example:

blablabla?blastringtobematched

..will not be matched!

It looks like that the "." (dot) character doesn't match the question mark.

Is there a regexp which matches every characters question marks included? (not necessarily matching only strings with question marks, but optionally)

I've tried something like this:

(.*)[\?](.*)blastringtobematched?

But it didn't work Smilie

Any help?

Thanks!

PS: regexp being used from Apache's mod_rewrite. Writing in this forum because after all regexp's are still considered part of shell scripting. Apologies in case I was wrong!

Last edited by lycaon; 12-14-2009 at 12:23 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp to separated rows by "asterisks-new line" in awk

Hello to all, I have the text file below, how would be the REGEXP to set the RS to separate registers by asterisks-newline-asterisks (highlighted in red) and FS as the default, in order that the fourth field ($4) always be the number after REG (in blue)? I'm trying with code below, but is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX - io info get from "libperfstat" not match "iostat"

Hi, everyone. I need to write a program to get io info based on libperfstat. But the "write time" of a disk is just half of the value get from iostat. I'm confused and can't explain. Help please. How I calculate "write service time per sec": In iostat: write service... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file containing ps results for a match "my.cnf" and then for a second match . "ok:" and

I need to find two matches in the output from ps. I am searching with ps -ef |grep mysql for: my.cnf /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/data/mysql/master/agis_core/etc/my.cnf after this match I want to search back and match the hostname which is x number of lines back, above the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
2 Replies
PPI::Token::Regexp(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     PPI::Token::Regexp(3)

NAME
PPI::Token::Regexp - Regular expression abstract base class INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::Regexp isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
The "PPI::Token::Regexp" class is never instantiated, and simply provides a common abstract base class for the three regular expression classes. These being: m// - PPI::Token::Regexp::Match s/// - PPI::Token::Regexp::Substitute tr/// - PPI::Token::Regexp::Transliterate The names are hopefully obvious enough not to have to explain what each class is. See their pages for more details. To save some confusion, it's worth pointing out here that "qr//" is not a regular expression (which PPI takes to mean something that will actually examine or modify a string), but rather a quote-like operator that acts as a constructor for compiled Regexp objects. METHODS
The following methods are inherited by this class' offspring: get_match_string The "get_match_string" method returns the portion of the regexp that performs the match. get_substitute_string The "get_substitute_string" method returns the portion of the regexp that is substituted for the match, if any. If the regexp does not substitute, "undef" is returned. get_modifiers The "get_modifiers" method returns the modifiers of the regexp. get_delimiters The "get_delimiters" method returns the delimiters of the regexp as an array. The first element is the delimiters of the match string, and the second element (if any) is the delimiters of the substitute string (if any). SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Token::Regexp(3)