Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk question - getting ip from ifconfig Post 302379578 by clx on Friday 11th of December 2009 06:05:23 AM
Old 12-11-2009
Code:
NIC=$NIC

shell replacement will not be handled by awk

you should probably do something like..

Code:
awk -v nic=$NIC '{ awk statments.....}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Further question on 'ifconfig' output

I asked a similar question earlier and got a very good answer but a new doubt came up. This is a few lines of a '/sbin/ifconfig' command on my PC: RX packets:3781025 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:1941909 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 Does the RX and TX packets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mint1981
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie ifconfig question

SunOS Release 5.7. Original ifconfig -a output: pnt0: flags=863<UP, BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS........ inet 10.2.34.49 netmask fffffe00 broadcast 10.2.34.255 ... Attempted to change ip address for pnt0. Typed the following command and forgot the "netmask" "ifconfig pnt0 10.2.35.49... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forbin24
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX ifconfig question.

This will most likely be a real dumb question for a HP-UX admin, but here it goes anyhow. lan0 - is up and configured lan1 - is down, I want to bring it up. lanconfig....ifconfig is there a difference? My real question is, in solaris there is an /etc/hostname."?" file, is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viRaven
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig

I am trying to change an IP address on a machine running HPUX10 After I change it I can ping it from the outside but it completely locks the console. After a reboot it returns back to its previous IP. Any ideas?? Thanks Brian (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
7 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

ifconfig

Hi, I type (as root) "ifconfig en1 ether aa:aa: " but it doesnt change the mac of my airport. Can anyone help me? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig eth0 and awk and grep

if i have the command ifconfig eth0, what will the output be and how can i use either awk or grep to isolate and display the IP address, subnet mask and physical address of my host (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 question on ifconfig

On prior versions to solaris 10 when I want to add/change the IP address of an interface I will use this command. ifconfig eri0 down ifconfig eri0 192.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.xxx.xxx.xxx up then change /etc/hosts so that /etc/hostname.eri0 picks up on the correct IP. I strange thing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ifconfig!!!!

why the ifconfig command is not working in my machine? it says "-bash: ifconfig: command not found" why its says that? actually i m looking for "how can I know the Network Interface Card physical address?" Requesting u all for help. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moco
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic awk question...getting awk to act on $1 of the command itself

I have a script problem that I am not able to solve due my very limited understanding of unix/awk. This is the contents of test.sh awk '{print $1}' From the prompt if I enter: ./test.sh Hello World I would expect to see "Hello" but all I get is a blank line. Only then if I enter "Hello... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk question : system output to awk variable.

Hi Experts, I am trying to get system output to capture inside awk , but not working: Please advise if this is possible : I am trying something like this but not working, the output is coming wrong: echo "" | awk '{d=system ("date") ; print "Current date is:" , d }' Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)