Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tag/mark a file with current absolute path Post 302379426 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 10th of December 2009 04:13:41 PM
Old 12-10-2009
Maintain a repository that 'remembers' the old absolute path for all your files. It can be db tables or a physical file.

I saw a cvs hack that kept track of files and directories by moving the real file somewhere, then creating a small 6-8 byte file of the same name and checking it into cvs. The downside was setting up dozens of fake source directories. I have never tried this so I cannot vouch for it's robustness.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

want the current directory without the absolute path

Hi guys I'm trying to move an empty directory to the $TRASH directory. Say the directory i have is ./hello/hello1/hello2 and i'm in hello2, and i want hello2 moved. this code: TRASH=$home/deleted find "$TRASH/$1" -type d -exec rmdir { } \; 2>/dev/null mv -f $1 $TRASH 2>/dev/null works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

absolute path

is cd ~ considered an absolute path? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kirichiko
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get Absolute path from file descriptors

Hello all, my question is whether it possible to get the complete path of a file from the file descriptor iam going through some code for which i dont understood this statement ifstream s((const byte*)fd); what exactly this represents any idea. which is not properly working is there any way... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinp
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with absolute path and relative path

I'm having problems accessing the Knoppix software on my current computer and the replacement CD I ordered hasn't arrived yet. I have a guess at what the answer would be for this question but I am not sure as I cannot test it with the software. I have to create a directory called class, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzero
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

absolute path for a script ran with relative path

I have a script in which i want to print absolute path of the same script irrespective of path from where i run script. I am using test.sh: echo "pwd : `pwd`" echo "script name: $0" echo "dirname: `dirname $0`" when i run script from /my/test/dir/struct as ../test.sh the output i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rss67
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern and mark/tag

Hi All, I have to search for patterns from a pattern file in a file and mark the matching lines. Input File: Student1 60 30 Student2 71 91 Student3 88 98 Pattern file: Student1 Fail Student2 Pass Student2 Pass Desired output: Student1 60 30 Fail Student2 71 91 Pass (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Absolute path to Relative path

Hello, I have a doubt:- --------------------- Current script:- ################################################################################################ prefix=user@my-server: find . -depth -type d -name .git -printf '%h\0' | while read -d "" path ; do ( cd "$path" || exit $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert relative path to absolute path?

Hello Everyone, I want to convert Relative Path - /home/stevin/data/APP_SERVICE/../datafile.txt to Absolute Path - /home/stevin/data/datafile.txt Is there a built-in tool in Unix to do this or any good ideas as to how can I implement this. -Steve (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwarentine
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
nfslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    nfslog.conf(4)

NAME
nfslog.conf - NFS server logging configuration file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The file specifies the location of the NFS server logs, as well as the location of the private work files used by the NFS server and nfs- logd(1M) daemon during logging. Each entry in the file consists of a mandatory tag identifier and one or more parameter identifiers. The parameter identifier specifies the value or location of the specific parameter. For instance, the parameter identifier specifies the location of the NFS server activity log. The mandatory tag identifier serves as an index into the file to identify the various parameters to be used. At export time, the share_nfs(1M) command specifies the NFS server logging parameters to use by associating a tag from the file to the exported file system. It is legal for more than one file system to be exported using the same logging tag identifier. A "global" tag identifier is included in It specifies the default set of values to be used during logging. If no tag identifier is speci- fied at export time, then the values in the "global" entry are used. The "global" values can be modified by updating this entry in Each entry in the file must contain a mandatory tag identifier and at least one parameter/value pair. If a parameter is not specified in a given entry, the global value of the parameter will be used. The exact entry syntax follows: The entries are described here. Specifies the directory where the log and work files will be placed. This path is prepended to all relative paths specified in other parameters. Specifies the location of the user-readable log file. The log will be located in the unless path is an absolute path. Specifies the location of the private file handle to path mapping database files. These database files are for the private use of the NFS server kernel module and the daemon. These files will be located in the unless path is an absolute path. These database files are permanently stored in the file system. Consult nfslogd(1M) for information on pruning the database files. Specifies the location of the private work buffer file used by the NFS server kernel module to record raw RPC information. This file is later processed by the daemon, which in turn generates the user-readable log file. This work buffer file will be located in the unless path is an absolute path. Sets the format of the user-readable log file. If not specified, the format is used. The format is compatible with log files generated by the Washington University The for- mat provides a more detailed log, which includes directory modification operations not included in the basic format, such as and Note that the format is not compatible with Washington University's log format. WARNINGS
Log files, work files, and file handle to path mapping database can become very large. Be aware of appropriate placement within the file system name space. See nfslogd(1M) for information on pruning the database files and cycling logs. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the global Tag The tag may be modified so that all exported file systems that enabled logging use a common set of parameters that conform to the specific needs of the user. These values are used until a specific tag identifier overrides them. Example 2: Overriding the Global defaultdir and logformat Because log files can become very large, it may be desirable to store the log and work files in separate file systems. This can be easily accomplished by simply specifying a different for every file system exported by means of a unique tag: File systems shared with the engineering identifier will have their log and work files located in For instance, the log file will be located at Note that the engineering log file will be stored in the extended format, while the rest of the log files will remain in the basic format. Any of the parameters can be updated in a tag identifier, which overrides the global settings. SEE ALSO
nfslogd(1M), share_nfs(1M). nfslog.conf(4)