Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? The Language of the Unix World should Change Post 302379422 by jlliagre on Thursday 10th of December 2009 04:05:36 PM
Old 12-10-2009
Kill, child, orphan, zombie and the likes are there since the seventies and are unlikely to disappear in the Unix context. They are actually pretty good metaphors while perhaps not "politically correct". Your proposal reminds me how many Unix people were upset when directories started to be referred as folders. Gratuitous changes are usually not welcome.

The first example is interesting as kill, both as a system call and a command, is a partly a misnomer. Kill is sending a signal to a process that effectively kill that process or not depending on settings. Its most frequent use is to kill so the name still seems adequate to me.
"stop" won't do as it is an existing special case which imply the process is resumable. "remove" might also be confusing as it is so commonly associated with unlinking a file.

You might want to post your aliases and start a poll about them ...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new to unix world

Need a lot of help, need to find information on unix and how to use it, Has anybody ues the learnkey videos on unix teaching. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: winter
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Click here for the best unix in the world!!!!

To anyone who asks which Unix is the best... or which one I should use... Probably the best timeline I have ever seen. Read this link... http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#08 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new user to the next generation of the new WORLD UNIX

am a windows Prof .... i deside to go with the UNIX .... but how can i start ......plz help me ........ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ekarak
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix in the banking world

Hi I have recently joined a bank as a tester. Initially I will be working on some test scripts and then I will be testing their data warehouse using SQL and Unix. I do have a very basic knowledge and understanding of both unix and sql. I am not sure how I will be using Unix to test their ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on unix scripting. I am at hello world level. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Need to automate the following steps (OS--> AIX ) 1. cd /advx/R8.1MR2/TOP/logs ( I navigate to this directory) 2. Monitor the current date ULOG for specific error pattern => ls -lrt ULOG.08* -rw-rw-rw- 1 vssrt vssgrp 24370 Aug 01 23:57 ULOG.080112 -rw-rw-rw- 1 vssrt vssgrp ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: krchakr
6 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Mad World Remix of Moby Video (Are You Lost In The World Like Me)

This is an excellent video comment on modern society and the remix is good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DU1B_XkyIk 5DU1B_XkyIk Watch the video above and post your comments. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World By John Loeffler

Nice UNIX history article by John Loeffler, February, 05th 2019 UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World The most widely used operating system in the world was a project born out of failure. (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX.com Hello World HUD YT Video

UNIX.com Hello World HUD YT Video https://youtu.be/cs3dbPnzDV4 Check it out! Subscribe, Like, Share, Comment . Cyber Dystopia (Ep. 2) - The Myth of the Singularity Coming Soon! (3 Replies)
3 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)