Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combining two variables in ksh Post 302379394 by Shoeless_Mike on Thursday 10th of December 2009 02:59:15 PM
Old 12-10-2009
Combining two variables in ksh

I can't believe I can't figure this out... given this code:

Code:
CARS_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file1 | awk '{print $1}' `
FMSA_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file2 | awk '{print $1}' `

The value of each of the above variables is:

CARS = a b c d e f g
FMSA = a b c q r s

I want to declare a third variable that contains the unique elements of the other two variables. I tried:

Code:
NEW_VAR=`echo $CARS_DATA_LIST $FMSA_DATA_LIST | sort | uniq `

echo $NEW_VAR
a b c d e f g a b c q r s

Does not work... also added a -u flag to uniq with no luck... on a Solaris 10 box btw. Any help is appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in ksh

I'm new to unix scripting. How would I go about pulling the first 3 characters from a variable in ksh and storing in another variable? Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve6368
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ksh - Env. Variables ??

Hey all, I have been using Ksh and in that I am setting Environment variables. To set Env. Variables I have created my own file "BuildScript.sh" in which i have written : export CLASSPATH=/somedir/some other dir/file:. export PATH=/some dir/file:. But when i am calling this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtracting variables in ksh

hi all, how do i subract variables in shell ?? am trying to space out the headers and the output generated by the shell so they all line up : currently the output is like this : servers : users server1 : 10 latestServer : 50 so i thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve NL in Ksh variables?

I'm trying to set a variable to the output of a command. This is what the comand output to the display looks like: />hciconndump -v TOsiu Dump of connection(s): TOsiu ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Process: A60Tsiu Connection: TOsiu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem combining two variables into one

Hello, I have a problem combining two variables into one. I did the following: in my env variables i had set PATH_DESTINATION_1=/root/path_one PATH_DESTINATION_2=/root/path_two #!/usr/bin/ksh count=1 count_path=2 while do (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eraser
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - for loop with variables

Hi, I 'm trying to send an e-mail for every different line in the .txt for i in {1..$variable} do sed -n "/$i$/p" text.txt done I have two problems about this. First one is that for loop doesn't work and the second one is that i cant get the output of sed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple variables into new variable

Hello, I am a new joiner to the forum, and have what i hope is a simple question, however I can't seem to find the answer so maybe it is not available within bash scripting. I intend to use the below script to archive files from multiple directories at once by using a loop, and a variable (n)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dring
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help cannot concatenate Ksh variables ?

Cannot combine these two strings into one line, either as a 3rd variable or echo or printing ? Frustrating. for i in `cat /scripts/pathList.dat` do OldRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 NewRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 | sed '/Oldhostname/... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
41 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formating variables in KSH

Hi Friends , I want to know how to format the output for the following: i searched in the forum and couldnt get the exact requirement. Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help using combining variables with sed command (RHEL 7)

Here is the whole script, very simple, but I am just learning ROK_NO=$1 RPT=/tmp/test sed -E '/^SELECT/ s/(.{23}).{8}/\1'"$ROK_NO"' /' $RPT echo $RPT When I run this I get $ bash rok.sh 2388085 : No such file or directory /tmp/test When I type the command in console, it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: isey78
3 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)