Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications John the Ripper application question Post 302378961 by itsjoy2u on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 07:48:10 AM
Old 12-09-2009
John the Ripper application question

Hi Friends

I like to know one thing the how exactly john the ripper works. I have search in google, read lots of tutorial on that.

I have simple question, can I get the password for the encrypted file for the following example.

e.g :

Abc.txt file

contents

"This is Joy"

Now I have encrypted the file using gpg and the password is 123.

I got the file Abc.txt.gpg.

Can I get the password using john the ripper while passing Abc.txt.gpg as input?

Thanks in Advance.

Joy

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo: application install question

I need to install an application on my Sun station and need root privleges to do so. I was given sudo privileges and was told to issue the following command. bash-2.03$ sudo init 0 I've read the man pages for init and understand the purpose of that command. My questions are: 1. From the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forbin24
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

John the Ripper / CRACK

Has anyone used JTR or CRACK to check if you have any weak passwords on your Red Hat Servers? If so can I ask some basic questions? Or would this question be better pitched in another area of the Forum, if so please suggest where, if anyone is willing to help me in this forum please let me know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevej123
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

John the ripper

Hi evryone, I have problem the john program. It works correctly but I can not make unshadow command because I have removed the file /usr/bin/john by mistake # cd ../run # ./john /root/shadow Loaded 2 password hashes with 2 different salts (FreeBSD MD5 ) letmein (root) letmein ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bander2009
5 Replies
MAILER(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 MAILER(8)

NAME
mailer - script to warn users about their weak passwords SYNOPSIS
mailer password-files DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the mailer command, which is part of the john package. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. john, better known as John the Ripper, is a tool to find weak passwords of users in a server. The mailer tool is useful to inform users which have been found to be using weak passwords by mail. You should edit the message mailer will send to the users, but remember to copy the script to a safe place before editing it, as it's gen- erally a bad idea to modify things living in /usr. SEE ALSO
john(8), unafs(8), unique(8), unshadow(8). The programs are documented fully by John's documentation, which should be available in /usr/share/doc/john or other location, depending on your system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). John the Ripper and mailer were written by Solar Designer <solar@openwall.com>. The complete list of contributors can be found in the CRED- ITS file in the documentation directory. john June 03, 2004 MAILER(8)