Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP and access rights
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users FTP and access rights Post 302378844 by pludi on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 02:39:17 AM
Old 12-09-2009
No, it's not possible. FTP has no way to allow re-authentication, or to start and interact with external programs, neither on the server or client side.

You could try issuing a get with the absolute path of the file, if known, from outside the directory. That way you don't need the execute permission set. Explanation: for directories, the permission bits work a bit differently:
  • Write means the permission to create new directory entries (eg. new files or sub-directories).
  • Read means the permission to list the contents of the directory.
  • eXecute means the permission to change into the directory.
So depending on the implementation used, it might be possible to list the files in a directory and download them without changing into it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix access rights

Hi, Is it true that if I am not the root I can not select access permissions to a file that I own so that my friend (who also isn't the root) can access that file? And is it true that the only way to accomplish it is to ask the root to "put" my friend into "my" group? Then I could simply set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudo
1 Replies

2. Solaris

FTP rights

How can I prevent some users from using FTP? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file access rights?

Hi, I want to execute a customised process like rating engine using a shell script from a directory other than the directory where the customizes process is placed. I have tried it in the following way...and faced a issue when shell script is available in directory /dir1/ and customized... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkishore.btw
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Access Rights

Hi Folks, My problem is an easy one for the experts here. All my applications run using a user id that creates files with only the following default rights: -rw-r----- I want to modify this user's account such that it creates files that assign read access to the everyone group by default:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umairrahman
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access Rights

Hello Guru, I have very unique requirement , need some help. I have one folder created in one the server A. In this folder , the file getting uploaded from some java based page. then i am calling scp through key file, which works fine in another folder of server B. Currently , what i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rights to FTP user

hi i want create a user to ftp (get) files from the 2nd machine. but i want to give specific rights to that user that he can't access only specific files and directories. please suggest (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Dansguardian Access rights

well hi to all The thing is I need to allow particular site to just one or 2 user not to everybody. Can anybody tell me how do i do it. If i put there ip in exception then whole Restriction would be bypassed which i dont want. Your Responses would be highly appreciated THANKS in ADVANCE (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: achtani_jeetu
0 Replies

8. AIX

ftp access without shell access

Hi all, I'm using AIX v 5.3 I want to create system users to access through ftp or sftp and restrict those users into specific directory and don't traverse the whole file system just to be restricted within a directory and don't get shell access . i don't want to use any other third party... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Access rights for users - list

Hi, I would like to retrieve a list of user ids on an AIX server along with the access rights that each id has? Can someone please help me on how this can be achieved? Gayathri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to check local accounts have root and user access rights ?

Hi, I have three servers,For 3 servers how i can take output,all the local accounts and details of whether the access is Root or User access. cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjithm
1 Replies
FTPFS(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  FTPFS(4)

NAME
ftpfs - file transfer protocol (FTP) file system SYNOPSIS
ftpfs [ -/dq ] [ -m mountpoint ] [ -a password ] system DESCRIPTION
Ftpfs dials the TCP file transfer protocol (FTP) port, 21, on system and mounts itself (see bind(2)) on mountpoint (default /n/ftp) to pro- vide access to files on the remote machine. If required by the remote machine, ftpfs will prompt for a user name and password. The user names ftp and anonymous conventionally offer guest/read-only access to machines. Anonymous FTP may be called without user interaction by using the -a option and specifying the password. By default the file seen at the mount point is the user's remote home directory. The option -/ forces the mount point to correspond to the remote root. To avoid seeing startup messages from the server use option -q. To see all messages from the server use option -d. To terminate the connection, unmount (see bind(1)) the mount point. EXAMPLE
You want anonymous FTP access to the system export.lcs.mit.edu. The first import(4) command is only necessary if your machine does not have access to the desired system, but another, called gateway in this example, does. import gateway /net ftpfs -a yourname@yourmachine export.lcs.mit.edu SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/ftpfs SEE ALSO
bind(2) BUGS
Symbolic links on remote Unix systems will always have mode 0777 and a length of 8. After connecting to a TOPS-20 system, the mount point will contain only one directory, usually /n/ftp/PS:<ANONYMOUS>. However, walking to any valid directory on that machine will succeed and cause that directory entry to appear under the mount point. Ftpfs caches files and directories. A directory will fall from the cache after 5 quiescent minutes or if the local user changes the direc- tory by writing or removing a file. Otherwise, remote changes to the directory that occur after the directory has been cached might not be immediately visible. There is no way to issue the appropriate commands to handle special synthetic FTP file types such as directories that automatically return a tar of their contents. FTPFS(4)