Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a file from unix directories Post 302378239 by TonyLawrence on Monday 7th of December 2009 10:03:50 AM
Old 12-07-2009
Are you asking how to get the file from (unspecified) Unix to (unspecified) Windows?

If so, then there are many, many possibilities. For example, the Unix system may be running ftp, so you could "ftp unixbox", log in, and possibly get it that way.

The Unix box might be running Samba or a similar app that would let it be seen in your Windows Network Neighborhood.

Or it may have ssh, so you might be able to use pscp ( from PuTTY Download Page )

If none of these will work for you, see Unix Data Transfer Methods and Techniques for more ideas.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodaddy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix ownership from directories and file

Hi, I have newly installed sun solaris on my pc since I would like to learn something more about unix. During the installation, I had to assign a password for the super user root.After the installation, the book I am following suggested me to create a new user which I did. My home directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giulianob
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix File System performance with large directories

Hi, how does the Unix File System perform with large directories (containing ~30.000 files)? What kind of structure is used for the organization of a directory's content, linear lists, (binary) trees? I hope the description 'Unix File System' is exact enough, I don't know more about the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dive
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passwording Directories in Unix

Hey guys. I need a little help! I am trying to secure a directory in Unix. I can not use .htaccess because seemingly the Unix Server is not reading it. I have also tried .nsconfig and that also is not working. At first I was wondering if the server had apache. Someone I work with told me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffreydavisjr
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy file into directories and sub-directories

Hello- I need to copy a file into multiple directories, and each directory's sub-directories (of which there are 5) Currently, the parent directory is set up like this: dir1 sub-dir1 sub-dir2 sub-dir3 sub-dir4 sub-dir5 dir2 sub-dir1 sub-dir2 sub-dir3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penlok
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX home directories

Hi All, Could someone help, am a complete beginner when it comes to UNIX. However I have been tasked with investigating automatic creation of UK unix home directories. Is someone able to help? Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainster
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with simple unix file copy and output in directories

Hi, I am fairly new to unix, and am trying to copy all files with the name "*.cons" within a directory (and all of the many directories within it) to a new directory called "output". There are multiple nested directories, and I would like to just pull out the files with ".cons" and not the other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
5 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Perl Script to read an excel file into an array and search in the UNIX directories

Hi, I want the Perl script with versions 5.8.2 and 5.8.5 starting with #!/usr/bin/perl The Perl program should read the excel file or text file line by line and taking into an array and search in the UNIX directories for reference file of .jsp or .js or .xsl with path .The Object names... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasam
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy file using unix in multiple directories

Hi All Genious, I want to copy a file name XYZ .In a directory /HOME/dir/IXOS1/dir1 which contain multiple directories named not in pattern want to copy the XYZ in all of the directories available on path /HOME/dir/IXOS1/dir1 . Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 UNIX directories

Hello, I'd want to compare the content of 2 directories in unix. I use the diff command like this: diff /home/user/AAAAA /home/user/BBBBB It works fine, but when a same file is in both directories and they are diferents, I'd want to see only that it is diferent and not all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nolo41
4 Replies
IVMAN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  IVMAN(8)

NAME
ivman - volume manager SYNOPSIS
ivman [ -sd ] [ --nofork ] [ -c <directory> ] DESCRIPTION
Ivman, or Ikke's Volume Manager, is a daemon to handle the mounting of media as they are inserted/attached to the system. It can also be used to execute arbitrary commands when a device with certain properties is added to the system (Windows autoplay style functionality), and to execute arbitrary commands when device properties change. Ivman uses HAL to monitor the state of your system's hardware. OPTIONS
-s or --system Start Ivman in system-wide mode. This is the default if running Ivman as root. When this option is specified, Ivman reads from the system-wide configuration directory ( usually /etc/ivman/ ); if this option is not specified, Ivman reads from ${HOME}/.ivman/ instead. Either of these locations may be overridden with the -c option. Other behaviour may differ slightly when running in sys- tem-wide mode. Don't use this option unless you know you need it. --nofork Force Ivman not to daemonize, regardless of settings in IvmConfigBase.xml. Useful for capturing debugging output. -d or --debug Force Ivman to give debugging output, regardless of settings in IvmConfigBase.xml. -c <directory> or --confdir <directory> Force Ivman to load configuration files from the specified directory. DETAILS
Ivman is a flexible device manager, allowing users to run arbitrary commands when devices are added/removed, when device properties change, and when devices emit conditions. For automount purposes, Ivman should be run once from a system-wide init script and once per user session (e.g., create a link to /usr/bin/ivman in ~/.kde/Autostart or put an entry for /usr/bin/ivman in gnome-session-manager). When a device is attached, Ivman will call pmount or mount to mount the device. If pmount is used, it will mount the device readable and writeable only for the current user; if no per-user instance of Ivman is running, the device will be mounted read/write for everyone in the same group as is required to use the pmount command, and read-only for everyone else. If regular mount is used, then an fstab entry must exist in /etc/fstab for the device to be mounted, and the settings given in that fstab entry will be used for the mount. Ivman is supplied with sensible default configuration files for volume management, but autoplay functionality has no default actions; you will need to edit ${HOME}/.ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml(5) or /etc/ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml(5) to specify some programs to execute. The syntax of this file and the other Ivman configuration files are specified in their own manpages. FILES
/etc/ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml actions to perform when media is inserted /etc/ivman/IvmConfigBase.xml options affecting the running of Ivman /etc/ivman/IvmConfigConditions.xml actions to perform when devices emit conditions /etc/ivman/IvmConfigProperties.xml actions to perform when device properties change SEE ALSO
IvmConfigActions.xml(5), IvmConfigBase.xml(5), IvmConfigConditions.xml(5), IvmConfigProperties.xml(5) BUGS
Hopefully, none :-) But there could be some still lurking. If you encounter a bug, please forward details to rohan.pm@gmail.com or add it to the bug tracker at the project's Sourceforge page, http://sourceforge.net/projects/ivman 9 December 2005 IVMAN(8)